Proving the Non-Negativity of a Limit: Does g(x) > 0 Imply M > 0?

• Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation focuses on proving that if a function g(x) is non-negative near a point c and has a limit of M at c, then M must also be non-negative. The conversation also explores whether or not M must be strictly positive if g(x) is strictly positive near c. The suggested approach is to use a proof by contradiction and examine the behavior of g(x) and M as x approaches c. It is also mentioned that this proof may involve the use of epsilon-delta definitions of convergence.
bjgawp

Homework Statement

I've got another question involving epsilon-delta proofs, one that is less concrete:
Prove that if g(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 near c and [tex]\lim_{x \to c} g(x) = M [/tex] then M [tex]\geq[/tex] 0. Furthermore, if g(x) > 0 does it follow that M > 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting off with some preliminary work:
Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0. We must find [tex]\delta[/tex] > 0 such that |g(x) - M| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] whenever 0 < |x - c| < [tex]\delta[/tex]

Does anyone have a hint they could provide? I'm not even sure how the end result of this proof is suppose to look like so that's a major set-back in proving this. Simpler, concrete examples require finding a [tex]\delta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] but I don't know how that would apply here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do a proof by contradiction.

The furthermore part is true since g is strictly positive on a neighbourhood around c. Although, what can you say about the case where [itex]\lim_{x\to+\infty}g(x)=M[/itex] when g(x)>0 for all x. Is M>0? If you don't know how to evaluate these kinds of limits just think of a proof/disproof informally.

Last edited:
Hmm following your advice, the most I can come up with is trying to analyze the following
M - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] < g(x) < M + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
which isn't a lot as the epsilon poses a problem in coming to a contradiction (such as M > g(x) or M > 0). Anything I'm missing o_O?

Last edited:
Suppose it was negative. Then we know by our delta/epsilon definition of convergence that g(x) must be negative as x gets gets close to c.

Prove this formally.

Hmm, sorry for my lack of knowledge but I haven't gone through anything involving convergence (Cauchy sequences?). We've just done a few lectures about epsilon-delta proofs but it's hard to apply what we learn from simple,concrete examples to the general cases. In any case, with the suggestion of doing a proof of contradiction, this is what I've gotten:
[tex]|g(x)-M|<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]g(x)+|M|<\epsilon[/tex] (since L < 0 and f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0)
[tex]0<|M|<\epsilon-g(x)[/tex]
[tex]g(x)-\epsilon<M<0<\epsilon-g(x)[/tex]

At this point, I can see that e - g(x) can certainly be less than zero if we restrict epsilon small enough. Does this seem right? I know I need to solidify this "proof", if you can call it,that even more.

Last edited:
Assume M<0. How about choosing epsilon=|M/2|? if |g(x)-M|<|M/2| then since we've assumed M negative, this forces g(x) to be negative.

I made a mistake, the furthermore part is not true. I was picturing continuous functions in my head for some reason. Let that be a hint.

1. What is an epsilon-delta proof?

An epsilon-delta proof is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, epsilon and delta, to show that the output of a function can get arbitrarily close to a specific value.

2. How does an epsilon-delta proof work?

In an epsilon-delta proof, we choose a small value for epsilon (ε) and then find a corresponding value for delta (δ). This value of delta is used to determine the range of inputs that will produce outputs within ε distance from the desired limit value. By using smaller and smaller values for epsilon and delta, we can show that the limit of the function approaches the desired value.

3. Why do we use epsilon and delta in this proof?

Epsilon and delta are used in this proof because they represent the precision and accuracy of the limit. The smaller the values of epsilon and delta, the closer the output of the function is to the desired limit value. This is important in proving the limit rigorously.

4. What are the steps involved in an epsilon-delta proof?

The steps involved in an epsilon-delta proof are:

1. Start by stating the limit definition of the function.
  2. Choose a value for epsilon (ε).
  3. Use this value to find a corresponding value for delta (δ).
  4. Show that for any input within δ distance from the limit, the output is within ε distance from the limit.
  5. Conclude that the limit is equal to the desired value.

5. Can you give an example of an epsilon-delta proof?

Yes, for example, to prove that the limit of the function f(x) = 2x+1 as x approaches 3 is equal to 7, we start by stating the limit definition:

For any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that for all x satisfying 0 < |x - 3| < δ, we have |2x + 1 - 7| < ε.

Next, we choose a value for ε, let's say ε = 0.5.

Then, we find a corresponding value for δ by solving for x in the inequality |2x + 1 - 7| < 0.5.

This gives us the value of δ = 0.25.

Now, we can show that for any x satisfying 0 < |x - 3| < 0.25, we have |2x + 1 - 7| < 0.5. This proves that the limit is equal to 7.