1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another epsilon-delta proof.

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've got another question involving epsilon-delta proofs, one that is less concrete:
    Prove that if g(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 near c and [tex]\lim_{x \to c} g(x) = M [/tex] then M [tex]\geq[/tex] 0. Furthermore, if g(x) > 0 does it follow that M > 0?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting off with some preliminary work:
    Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0. We must find [tex]\delta[/tex] > 0 such that |g(x) - M| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] whenever 0 < |x - c| < [tex]\delta[/tex]

Does anyone have a hint they could provide? I'm not even sure how the end result of this proof is suppose to look like so that's a major set-back in proving this. Simpler, concrete examples require finding a [tex]\delta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] but I don't know how that would apply here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    I would do a proof by contradiction.

The furthermore part is true since g is strictly positive on a neighbourhood around c. Although, what can you say about the case where [itex]\lim_{x\to+\infty}g(x)=M[/itex] when g(x)>0 for all x. Is M>0? If you don't know how to evaluate these kinds of limits just think of a proof/disproof informally.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    Hmm following your advice, the most I can come up with is trying to analyze the following
    M - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] < g(x) < M + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]
    which isn't a lot as the epsilon poses a problem in coming to a contradiction (such as M > g(x) or M > 0). Anything I'm missing o_O?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4
    Suppose it was negative. Then we know by our delta/epsilon definition of convergence that g(x) must be negative as x gets gets close to c.

Prove this formally.

6. Oct 19, 2007 #5
    Hmm, sorry for my lack of knowledge but I haven't gone through anything involving convergence (Cauchy sequences?). We've just done a few lectures about epsilon-delta proofs but it's hard to apply what we learn from simple,concrete examples to the general cases. In any case, with the suggestion of doing a proof of contradiction, this is what I've gotten:
    [tex]|g(x)-M|<\epsilon[/tex]
    [tex]g(x)+|M|<\epsilon[/tex] (since L < 0 and f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0)
    [tex]0<|M|<\epsilon-g(x)[/tex]
    [tex]g(x)-\epsilon<M<0<\epsilon-g(x)[/tex]

At this point, I can see that e - g(x) can certainly be less than zero if we restrict epsilon small enough. Does this seem right? I know I need to solidify this "proof", if you can call it,that even more.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  7. Oct 19, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume M<0. How about choosing epsilon=|M/2|? if |g(x)-M|<|M/2| then since we've assumed M negative, this forces g(x) to be negative.

8. Oct 19, 2007 #7
    I made a mistake, the furthermore part is not true. I was picturing continuous functions in my head for some reason. Let that be a hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?