Solving for Depth, Velocity, and Initial Velocity in a Free Fall Challenge

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where a lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving board and sinks to the bottom with a constant velocity. The problem asks for the depth of the lake, the average velocity of the ball, and the initial velocity of the ball when thrown from the diving board. Through calculations using equations of motion and considering the ball's constant velocity, the depth of the lake is found to be 43.7994 meters. However, there is uncertainty about the average velocity and initial velocity of the ball due to unclear information in the problem. Assistance is requested to solve these parts of the problem.
Cathartics
[SOLVED] *****Another free fall challange!*****

A lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving board 5.06 m above the water. It hits the water with a certain velocity and then sinks to the bottom with this same constant velocity. It reaches the bottom 4.92 s after it is dropped. (Assume the positive direction is upward.)
(a) How deep is the lake?
Answere in meter

(b) What is the average velocity of the ball?
Answer in m/s

(c) Suppose that all the water is drained from the lake. The ball is now thrown from the diving board so that it again reaches the bottom in 4.92 s. What is the initial velocity of the ball?
Answer in m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cathartics,

Firstly, homework questions are to be posted in the Homework section. Secondly, one is expected to show an attempt when posting homework questions.

Ok hold on i will post up my attempt

Ok first i found out the velocity it hits the water surface to do that Y= 5.06 and Vo = 0(initial velocity) and Vf = unknown (to be calculated) and a = 9.8 using the formula
Y = Vf^2 - Vo^2/ 2a i get Vf = 9.95 now i calculated the time using the above also

thats Y = 1/2 (Vo + Vf)t and that is t =1.01s

now i can get the time it took from the surface of the water to the bottom by 4.9s-1.01s and that's 3.89s then i can find Y from the surface of the water to the bottom by using
Y= Vot +1/2 at^2 where Y = unknown and Vo= 9.95 and t = 3.89 and it comes in quadratic which would give me Y = 19.59 and the answer is wrong now please help me!

Cathartics said:
Ok first i found out the velocity it hits the water surface to do that Y= 5.06 and Vo = 0(initial velocity) and Vf = unknown (to be calculated) and a = 9.8 using the formula
Y = Vf^2 - Vo^2/ 2a i get Vf = 9.95
Correct, but be careful of rounding, I have 9.9587...
Cathartics said:
now i calculated the time using the above also

thats Y = 1/2 (Vo + Vf)t and that is t =1.01s
Correct, but again be careful with rounding (t=1.016...)
Cathartics said:
now i can get the time it took from the surface of the water to the bottom by 4.9s-1.01s and that's 3.89s then i can find Y from the surface of the water to the bottom by using
Y= Vot +1/2 at^2 where Y = unknown and Vo= 9.95 and t = 3.89 and it comes in quadratic which would give me Y = 19.59 and the answer is wrong now please help me!
The clue is in the question;
Cathartics said:
A lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving board 5.06 m above the water. It hits the water with a certain velocity and then sinks to the bottom with this same constant velocity.
And use 4.92 not just 4.9 for the total time.

Last edited:
The formula is not correct. The formula assumes a constant acceleration (or deceleration).

The problem statement states "then sinks to the bottom with this same constant velocity", in which case h = v*t.

I see Hoot has responded also.

Thanks hoot and Astronuc for the response.

So astronuc you mean to say if i do h = 9.95 x 3.89 i will get the answer? for (a)

and how to you calculate the average velocity? and how do you do the part (c) I'm lost please help!

Cathartics said:
Thanks hoot and Astronuc for the response.

So astronuc you mean to say if i do h = 9.95 x 3.89 i will get the answer? for (a)
for constant velocity, the distance (or height) is just velocity * time. So, yes.

and how to you calculate the average velocity? and how do you do the part (c) I'm lost please help!

For b) one simple way to determine the average velocity (speed) is to take the total distance and divide by total time to traverse the distance. That defines the 'average' velocity, as opposed to instanteous velocity, which changes under the constant acceleration of free-fall.

in c) What is total distance the ball falls from board to lake bottom? One is given the time. So write the equation for a downward trajectory with an initial velocity.

Please refer to this site for equations of motion.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

Dear Astronuc,

Thanks for that info i got (a) correct ***yehhhh*** now I'm trying to do (b)
so you said if i take the total distance i.e 5.06 plus the height of the lake that's 38.739400 that would be 43.7994 and now divide this by the total time that's 4.92 i would get 8.90m/s but it says I'm wrong don't know why...

(c) ok for this i know Y= 43.7994 and time t = 4.92 but they are asking to find the initial velocity but do we know the final velocity?i don't think so! i tried using Y = vot +1/2 at^2 but i get imaginary roots. so please help on this! once again thank's in advance

Cathartics said:
Thanks for that info i got (a) correct ***yehhhh*** now I'm trying to do (b)
so you said if i take the total distance i.e 5.06 plus the height of the lake that's 38.739400 that would be 43.7994 and now divide this by the total time that's 4.92 i would get 8.90m/s but it says I'm wrong don't know why...
I agree with your answer, except perhaps that is should be negative since the ball is traveling downwards (velocity is a vector quantity).
Cathartics said:
(c) ok for this i know Y= 43.7994 and time t = 4.92 but they are asking to find the initial velocity but do we know the final velocity?i don't think so! i tried using Y = vot +1/2 at^2 but i get imaginary roots. so please help on this! once again thank's in advance
How are you getting imaginary roots? Your solving for v_0, not t. You should also be aware that both Y and a are negative quantities.

Last edited:
Thank you Hoot, Thank you thank you thank you so much! appreciate it...

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Another free fall challenge"?

The purpose of the "Another free fall challenge" is to simulate a free fall experiment in a virtual environment. This allows scientists to study the effects of gravity on different objects and collect data without the limitations and safety concerns of conducting an actual experiment.

2. How does the "Another free fall challenge" work?

The "Another free fall challenge" uses a computer program to simulate the motion of a falling object. The program takes into account the object's mass, initial velocity, and the effects of gravity to accurately depict the object's motion over time.

3. What can be learned from completing the "Another free fall challenge"?

Completing the "Another free fall challenge" can help scientists understand the relationship between mass, gravity, and acceleration in a free fall scenario. It can also provide insights into the effects of air resistance and other external factors on the motion of a falling object.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Another free fall challenge"?

As with any simulation, the "Another free fall challenge" may have limitations in accurately representing real-world scenarios. Factors such as air resistance, surface conditions, and other external forces may not be accurately reflected in the simulation. It is important for scientists to consider these limitations when interpreting the data from the challenge.

5. How can the data from the "Another free fall challenge" be used in real-world applications?

The data collected from the "Another free fall challenge" can be used to inform and improve real-world applications, such as designing and testing parachutes, calculating the trajectory of falling objects, and understanding the effects of gravity on different objects. It can also be used to validate and refine existing theories and laws related to free fall and motion.