Can a Magnet-Powered Wheel Generate Perpetual Energy?

• Thread starter Gnophos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, magnets can be used to speed up a wheel, which in turn generates power. This power can be used to turn a hydroelectric wheel, which would create perpetual motion. However, there is no real blocker that would keep the magnets from separating, so the power would disappear as soon as it was used.
Gnophos
I was thinking about perpetual motion and perpetual energy generation when I got to thinking about magnets. Now, for the record, I don't think this would really work, but I can't think of why not, so maybe you guys can educate me on this.

Open the attached image to look at while you read this. Now, the wheel is started in CCW motion. Each magnet on a spoke is drawn toward the magnet at the bottom (actually, two magnets, one on each side of the spokes -- see straight-on view), and thus speeds up the wheel a little as it gets closer; now, normally, each spoke-magnet would pass by the stationary magnet and then slow down, stop, and reverse direction, because it would seek to be as close to the magnet as possible, thus nullifying any increase in velocity.

But, what if the other side of the magnet is blocked by a non-magnetic metal or other material? The spoke-magnet speeds up a little, passes by the magnet, and keeps going, as it loses its attraction to the big magnet. The next magnet approaches, adds some speed to the system, and passes... etc. One could even improve upon this design by putting a magnet on the other side that has the same polarity as the spoke magnets, thus repelling them as they pass by, and adding more velocity.

Couldn't one draw power from this system in the same manner as a hydroelectric wheel being turned by water? Couldn't a large version of this generate some decent power?

Attachments

• Perpetu-Wheel.JPG
    Perpetu-Wheel.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
This follows the classic perpetual motion machine diagram, you can find threads here and many online that will explain how it doesn't work with gravity and similar properties exist for yours.

Namely, there is no real magnetic blocker. Magnetism has field lines that connect the poles of the magnet. Yes, you can do things to focus the field lines and so on, but even then there is no 'laser' focus you can apply.

So, while the one wheel magnet may be attracted to the stationary magent and rotate the wheel to align them, the force would change by the inverse square of the distance. To separate them, the same force would be needed on the other side and any mometum gained previously would be lost.

Cliff_J said:
Namely, there is no real magnetic blocker. Magnetism has field lines that connect the poles of the magnet. Yes, you can do things to focus the field lines and so on, but even then there is no 'laser' focus you can apply.

Ahhh, I didn't realize that. Well, there you go. I knew there had to be a reason this wasn't "invented" yet. Thanks!

It has been "invented", constantly and repeatedly, over and over again. Ad nauseam.
See "970 Mechanical Appliances and Novelties of Construction" by Gardner B. Hiscox. Originally published in 1904.

This is not a theory development forum. This shouldn't have been moved here.

edit

Last edited:

Related to Can a Magnet-Powered Wheel Generate Perpetual Energy?

1. What is "Another Idea To Debunk"?

"Another Idea To Debunk" is a concept commonly used in the scientific community to challenge existing theories or hypotheses. It involves proposing alternative explanations or ideas to the accepted understanding of a phenomenon or concept.

2. How is "Another Idea To Debunk" different from the scientific method?

The scientific method involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing it through experiments, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. "Another Idea To Debunk" is a part of this process, where scientists critically evaluate and challenge existing theories to improve our understanding of the natural world.

3. Can "Another Idea To Debunk" be applied to any scientific theory?

Yes, "Another Idea To Debunk" can be applied to any scientific theory. In fact, it is a crucial aspect of the scientific process, as it encourages continuous questioning and refinement of our understanding of the world.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Another Idea To Debunk"?

While "Another Idea To Debunk" is an important tool for scientific progress, it is essential to approach it with caution. It is crucial to base any alternative ideas on sound evidence and to avoid making claims without proper research and experimentation.

5. How can "Another Idea To Debunk" benefit the scientific community?

"Another Idea To Debunk" can bring about new perspectives and approaches to scientific problems, leading to breakthroughs and advancements in various fields. It also promotes open-mindedness and critical thinking within the scientific community, encouraging the growth of knowledge and understanding.