Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Idea To Debunk

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    I was thinking about perpetual motion and perpetual energy generation when I got to thinking about magnets. Now, for the record, I don't think this would really work, but I can't think of why not, so maybe you guys can educate me on this.

Open the attached image to look at while you read this. Now, the wheel is started in CCW motion. Each magnet on a spoke is drawn toward the magnet at the bottom (actually, two magnets, one on each side of the spokes -- see straight-on view), and thus speeds up the wheel a little as it gets closer; now, normally, each spoke-magnet would pass by the stationary magnet and then slow down, stop, and reverse direction, because it would seek to be as close to the magnet as possible, thus nullifying any increase in velocity.

But, what if the other side of the magnet is blocked by a non-magnetic metal or other material? The spoke-magnet speeds up a little, passes by the magnet, and keeps going, as it loses its attraction to the big magnet. The next magnet approaches, adds some speed to the system, and passes... etc. One could even improve upon this design by putting a magnet on the other side that has the same polarity as the spoke magnets, thus repelling them as they pass by, and adding more velocity.

Couldn't one draw power from this system in the same manner as a hydroelectric wheel being turned by water? Couldn't a large version of this generate some decent power?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

This follows the classic perpetual motion machine diagram, you can find threads here and many online that will explain how it doesn't work with gravity and similar properties exist for yours.

Namely, there is no real magnetic blocker. Magnetism has field lines that connect the poles of the magnet. Yes, you can do things to focus the field lines and so on, but even then there is no 'laser' focus you can apply.

So, while the one wheel magnet may be attracted to the stationary magent and rotate the wheel to align them, the force would change by the inverse square of the distance. To seperate them, the same force would be needed on the other side and any mometum gained previously would be lost.
  4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    Ahhh, I didn't realize that. Well, there you go. I knew there had to be a reason this wasn't "invented" yet. Thanks!
  5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    It has been "invented", constantly and repeatedly, over and over again. Ad nauseam.
    See "970 Mechanical Appliances and Novelties of Construction" by Gardner B. Hiscox. Originally published in 1904.
  6. Feb 17, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not a theory development forum. This shouldn't have been moved here.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?