Solving Integral to Recognize Pi Without Calculator

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tables of integrals and the exact values of inverse trigonometric functions. The integral in question can be solved using a trigonometric substitution and the values of sine and cosine can be determined using a 30-60-90 triangle. The use of tables of integrals is a personal preference and can make integration easier, but it is important to also understand the concepts behind the solutions.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I get the right answer, but...

[tex]
\int_{1/2}^{\sqrt 3 /2} {\frac{6}{{\sqrt {1 - t^2 } }}\,dt} [/tex]

[tex] F(x) = 6\,\sin ^{ - 1} x
[/tex]

[tex]
6\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{2} - 6\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{1}{2} = \pi [/tex]

I only know the answer is pi because I plugged it into my calculator and came out with 6.28... - 3.14... = 3.14...

Is there an easier way besides using the calculator to recognize that this equals pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a table integral, unless I'm mistaken.

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}=\arcsin(\frac{x}{a}) + C[/tex]

Edit: this can be shown by using a trig substitution.

The exact values of the arcsin function come from working out the angle and side relations in a 30-60-90 triangle (ie half of a equilateral). Maybe you could work them out as a way of reviewing precalc!

radou said:

I personally learned integration without anyone making reference to 'tables of integrals'. And I don't see the point in them, you begin to think integration is a matter of memorizing hundreds of anti-derivatives instead of actually learning how to get there. (granted when you do become proficient, use whatever means necessary)

Dick said:
The exact values of the arcsin function come from working out the angle and side relations in a 30-60-90 triangle (ie half of a equilateral). Maybe you could work them out as a way of reviewing precalc!

Calculus uses radians :P. you should know that sin(pi / 6) = 1 / 2, and therefore you should be able to figure out what arcsin(1 / 2) is (mind you there are two solutions for all 'arc' functions the exception of critical points).

radou said:

Let [tex]t=sin(\theta)[/tex] so that [tex]dt = cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex].

Then substitute in, and you should get something like

[tex]\int\frac{dt}{\sqrt{1-t^2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\int \frac{cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\int d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\theta + C[/tex], C the constant of integration
but since [tex]t=sin(\theta)[/tex], then [tex]\theta = arcsin(t)+C[/tex]

This way you won't have to use the table of integrals.

ChaoticLlama said:
mind you there are two solutions for all 'arc' functions the exception of critical points.

No there aren't, otherwise they wouldn't be functions. The inverses of sines, cosines are defined on restricted domains in order to make them functions.

tony873004 said:
I get the right answer, but...

[tex]
\int_{1/2}^{\sqrt 3 /2} {\frac{6}{{\sqrt {1 - t^2 } }}\,dt} [/tex]

[tex] F(x) = 6\,\sin ^{ - 1} x
[/tex]

[tex]
6\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{2} - 6\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{1}{2} = \pi [/tex]

I only know the answer is pi because I plugged it into my calculator and came out with 6.28... - 3.14... = 3.14...

Is there an easier way besides using the calculator to recognize that this equals pi?
So the question is NOT about doing the integral, just about finding the exact values of the inverse sine and cosine functions.

You should have already learned some basic values for sine and cosine. As far as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] are concerned, star with an equilateral triangle. Dropping a perpendicular from one vertex to the base gives you two "30-60" right triangles ([itex]\pi/6[/itex] and [itex]\pi/3[/itex] in radians). The hypotenuse of the right triangle is one side of the equilateral triangle, s. The side opposite the [itex]\pi/6[/itex] angle is [itex]\frac{s}{2}[/itex]. Use the Pythagorean theorem to determine that the other side, the altitude of the equilateral triangle, is [itex]\frac{s\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]. From that the sine and cosine values follow:
[tex]sin(\frac{\pi}{3})= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex]sin(\frac{\pi}{6}}= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex] 6\frac{\pi}{3}- 6\frac{\pi}{6}= 2\pi- \pi= \pi[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
ChaoticLlama said:
I personally learned integration without anyone making reference to 'tables of integrals'. And I don't see the point in them, you begin to think integration is a matter of memorizing hundreds of anti-derivatives instead of actually learning how to get there. (granted when you do become proficient, use whatever means necessary)

The purpose of 'table integrals' is to make your life easier. Of course, taking into account that you know why the primitives 'look the way they look', i.e. you know how to obtain these functions. If one begins to think about integration as 'a matter of memorizing hundreds of anti derivatives instead of actually learning how to get there', that's just his and no one else's problem then. :smile:

ChaoticLlama said:
I personally learned integration without anyone making reference to 'tables of integrals'. And I don't see the point in them, you begin to think integration is a matter of memorizing hundreds of anti-derivatives instead of actually learning how to get there.

Unless you work every integral by doing an epsilon-delta proof from first principles, you DO have a table of integrals in your head already. The only difference is, it's probably a shorter table than most published ones.

You might just as well argue that you don't see the point in using a calculator, because you know how to do arithmetic without one. If you need the value of a trig function, no problem - just work it out by hand from the power series...

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is usually denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to solve problems related to finding the area, volume, and other quantities in mathematics and physics.

What is Pi?

Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and has an infinite number of decimal places.

Why is it important to recognize Pi without a calculator?

Recognizing Pi without a calculator is important because it allows us to solve mathematical problems and equations more efficiently. It also helps us to develop a deeper understanding of the concept of Pi and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.

What are some methods for solving integrals to recognize Pi without a calculator?

There are several methods for solving integrals to recognize Pi without a calculator, including using geometric shapes, trigonometric identities, and series expansions. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using mathematical principles and formulas to find the solution.

How can solving integrals to recognize Pi without a calculator benefit us?

Solving integrals to recognize Pi without a calculator can benefit us in many ways. It can improve our problem-solving skills, enhance our understanding of mathematical concepts, and allow us to solve complex equations and problems without relying on technology. It can also help us to develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are valuable in many fields of science and engineering.