Can anyone explain Jackson's circular current loop formula?

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the conversation discusses a specific equation involving the cosine rule and vectors in 3D space. The equation is derived using coordinates and the distance formula. The speaker plans to try using the cylindrical coordinate system to better understand the equation.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Every time I pick up Jackson I feel dumb :(

So in 5.5 chapter about Circular Current Loop, he says:

[tex]|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|=[r^2+r'^2-2rr'(\cos\theta\cos\theta'+\sin\theta\sin\theta'\cos\phi')]^{1/2}[/tex]

So it's cosine rule, but how did he got to that sine/cosine thing? It should be the angle between r and r'. I tried drawing but to no avail :\

help...

Physics news on Phys.org
in 3d space the vector r has coordinates

[tex] \bold r = (x,y,z) = (rsin(\theta)cos(\phi),rsin(\theta)sin(\phi),rcos(\theta))[/tex]

and vector r' has coordinates

[tex] \bold r' = (x',y',z') = (r'sin(\theta ')cos(\phi '),r'sin(\theta ')sin(\phi '),r'cos(\theta '))[/tex]

so basically you use that and the fact that

[tex]\left|\bold r - \bold r' \right| = \sqrt{ (x-x')^2 +(y-y')^2 +(z-z')^2}[/tex]

and that should be equivalent to what you have

I thought of sth like that right now in the morning, only I thought of cylindrical coordinate system.

Altho that would get complicated in the z part.

I'll try this. Thank you :)

What is Another Jackson problem?

Another Jackson problem refers to a scientific phenomenon or issue that was first identified by scientist Jackson and has been the subject of ongoing research and study.

Who is Jackson and why is this problem named after them?

Jackson is a scientist who first discovered and documented the Another Jackson problem. The problem is named after them to give proper credit and recognition for their contributions to science.

What is the significance of Another Jackson problem in the scientific community?

Another Jackson problem is a significant issue in the scientific community because it has important implications for our understanding of a particular topic or field of study. It may also lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

What are some common theories or explanations for Another Jackson problem?

There are various theories and explanations for Another Jackson problem, depending on the specific issue or phenomenon being studied. Some common explanations may include environmental factors, genetic factors, or a combination of both.

How is the scientific community working to address Another Jackson problem?

The scientific community is actively researching and studying Another Jackson problem in order to better understand its causes and potential solutions. This may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and collaborating with other scientists to develop new theories and approaches.