Logarithm Question: Solving for x with Substitution

• Thread starter Doubell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, by substituting y = log2x in the given equation and using the property that if logab = c, then a^c = b, we can solve for x and obtain x = 16 as the solution. The equation has two solutions, one being x = 16 and the other being x = 1. To improve post clarity, one can use the expanded menu options available when clicking on "Go Advanced" and use symbols such as exponents and subscripts to make the equations easier to understand.
Doubell

Homework Statement

by substituting y = log2x solve for x in the following equation:

√log2x = logs2√x

Homework Equations

logab=c then a^c = b

The Attempt at a Solution

if y = log2x then the equation becomes √y = log2 x^1/2
this implies √y = 1/2 log2x which simplifies to √y = 1/2 y
[√y]^2 = [ 1/2 y]^2
y = (y^2)/4
4y = y^2
4y-y^2 = 0
y(4-y) = 0
4-y = 0
y = 4
if y = 4 and y = log2x then 4 = log2x
if loga b = c then a ^c = b
this implies that 2^4 = x and x = 16. anyone agrees with this solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Doubell said:

Homework Statement

by substituting y = log2x solve for x in the following equation:

√log2x = logs2√x

Homework Equations

logab=c then a^c = b

The Attempt at a Solution

if y = log2x then the equation becomes √y = log2 x^1/2
this implies √y = 1/2 log2x which simplifies to √y = 1/2 y
[√y]^2 = [ 1/2 y]^2
y = (y^2)/4
4y = y^2
4y-y^2 = 0
y(4-y) = 0
4-y = 0
y = 4
if y = 4 and y = log2x then 4 = log2x
if loga b = c then a ^c = b
this implies that 2^4 = x and x = 16. anyone agrees with this solution

Is this the equation you're supposed to be solving
[itex]\sqrt{\log_2\,x\ }=\log_2\,\sqrt{x}\ \ ?[/itex]​

The equation 2u2 = u , has two solutions. So does the equation [itex]2y=\sqrt{y}\,.[/itex]

Write 2u2 = u as 2u2 - u = 0, then factor out the common factor.

SammyS, isn't that exactly what he said he did?

Doublell, it's easy to check your answer. If x= 16 then [itex]\sqrt{x}= 4[/itex] and [itex]log_2(\sqrt{x})= log_2(4)= log_2(2^2)= 2[/itex]. Of course, [itex]log_2(16)= log_2(2^4)= 4[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{log_2(x})= \sqrt{4}= 2[/itex] also.

HallsofIvy said:
SammyS, isn't that exactly what he said he did?

Doublell, it's easy to check your answer. If x= 16 then [itex]\sqrt{x}= 4[/itex] and [itex]log_2(\sqrt{x})= log_2(4)= log_2(2^2)= 2[/itex]. Of course, [itex]log_2(16)= log_2(2^4)= 4[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{log_2(x})= \sqrt{4}= 2[/itex] also.
Well, I admit that I didn't read his post as carefully as I should have. (I may have spent too much time working with another PH user, and some of his behaviors were contagious.) However, what I should have pointed out, is that if y(4 - y) = 0, there are two solutions for y. OP did drop the y = 0 solution.

If log2(x) = 0, then x = 1.

Writing my posts more clearly

sammys said:
well, i admit that i didn't read his post as carefully as i should have. (i may have spent too much time working with another ph user, and some of his behaviors were contagious.) however, what i should have pointed out, is that if y(4 - y) = 0, there are two solutions for y. Op did drop the y = 0 solution.

If log2(x) = 0, then x = 1.

i noticed that my post are not as clear as u guys eg i write log2x when in ur posts its clear to understand any advice on how i can post my questions in a similar fashion as yours?

Doubell said:
i noticed that my post are not as clear as u guys eg i write log2x when in ur posts its clear to understand any advice on how i can post my questions in a similar fashion as yours?

Please - no textspeak (e.g., u and ur). Using textspeak is a violation of forum rules.

You can write exponents and subscripts using the expanded menu that is available when you click Go Advanced. For subscripts, as in log2(x), click the X2 button and enter the subscript. (It doesn't have to be 2.)

For exponents, as in w4, click the X2 button and enter the exponent. There are a bunch of other symbols that you can use, shown to the right of the text-entry window, such as √, ≤, Ʃ, ±, and Greek letters.

mark44 said:
please - no textspeak (e.g., u and ur). Using textspeak is a violation of forum rules.

You can write exponents and subscripts using the expanded menu that is available when you click go advanced. For subscripts, as in log2(x), click the x2 button and enter the subscript. (it doesn't have to be 2.)

for exponents, as in w4, click the x2 button and enter the exponent. There are a bunch of other symbols that you can use, shown to the right of the text-entry window, such as √, ≤, Ʃ, ±, and greek letters.

thanks and i will remember no text speaking

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a number (called the base) must be raised to produce another number. In other words, it is the inverse of an exponent.

2. How do you solve a logarithm?

To solve a logarithm, you can use the properties of logarithms or apply the change of base formula. It is also helpful to remember that logarithms and exponents are related, so you can rewrite a logarithmic equation as an exponential equation to solve for the variable.

3. Why are logarithms useful?

Logarithms are useful in many areas of science and mathematics, including finance, physics, and chemistry. They help condense large numbers into more manageable values and can be used to solve exponential equations.

4. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

A natural logarithm (ln) has a base of e (approximately 2.718) while a common logarithm (log) has a base of 10. This means that the natural logarithm is the inverse of the exponential function e^x, while the common logarithm is the inverse of the exponential function 10^x.

5. Can you have a negative logarithm?

Yes, you can have a negative logarithm. In fact, negative logarithms are often used in chemistry and physics to represent concentrations or decibel levels. However, in mathematics, logarithms are typically only defined for positive numbers, so negative logarithms may not always have a real solution.