What is the Limit of a Rational Function at a Removable Singularity?

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discussed a limit question involving a rational function and determining the correct approach to solving it. The correct solution was to cancel out the common term, resulting in the final answer of 1/6. The concept of continuity was also mentioned, specifically regarding rational functions and how they are continuous except at values where the denominator is equal to zero.
davie08

Homework Statement

i think I remember the question to be this:

lim (y-3)/(y-3)(y+3)
y→3

it was the first limit question and the easiest but I am not sure if I did it right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I did was I canceled the y-3's out to get:

1/(y+3) and this is what I was unsure about is that the first step and after this I got:

1/(3+3) = 1/6

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct:

[tex]

\lim_{y \to \ 3} \frac{y-3}{(y-3)(y+3)} = \lim_{y \to \ 3 } \frac{1}{y+3} = \frac{1}{6}

[/tex]

You have the correct answer, but it's probably a good idea to try to justify your last step. When is it true that [itex] \lim_{y \to a} f(y) = f(a) [/itex]? What can you say about the continuity of rational functions?

A crucial, and often overlooked property of limits is this: if f(x)= g(x) for all x except x= a, then [itex]\limit_{x\to a} f(x)= \limit_{x\to a}g(x)[/itex].

For this problem, you can correctly say that
[tex]\frac{y-3}{(y-3)(y+3)}= \frac{1}{y+3}[/tex]
for all x except x= 3 and so the limits are the same.

Actually, "what can you say about the continuity of rational functions?" is NOT a good question here because continuity also involves the value of the function as well as the limit. 1/(x+3) is continuous at x= 3, so its limit is 1/(3+3)= 1/6 while (x-3)/(x-3)(x+3) is NOT continuous at x= 3.

HallsofIvy said:
1/(x+3) is continuous at x= 3, so its limit is 1/(3+3)= 1/6

This statement is true exactly because rational functions are continuous anywhere their denominator isn't zero, which is why I asked the question. I guess I should have mentioned the fact that there is a removable singularity at x=3, but the OP seemed to handle it appropriately.

1. What is the purpose of this math test question?

The purpose of this math test question is to assess your understanding and application of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. How should I approach this math test question?

Start by carefully reading and understanding the question. Identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use your knowledge and strategies to solve the problem step by step.

3. Can I use a calculator for this math test question?

This depends on the specific test instructions. Some math tests allow the use of calculators, while others do not. Make sure to follow the instructions given for each question.

4. What if I don't know how to solve this math test question?

If you are unsure about how to approach a question or solve it, try to use logic and reasoning to eliminate incorrect answer choices. You can also use the given information to make an educated guess.

5. How can I prepare for math test questions like this?

To prepare for math test questions, it is important to practice regularly and review key concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or study in a group to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.