Another Mechanics problem. (Equilibrium)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equilibrium and finding the forces exerted by each of the ropes supporting a hammock with a girl weighing 620N. The importance of considering the sag in the hammock is emphasized, and guidance on how to approach the problem is given. The importance of using common sense and drawing a diagram is also mentioned.
andorei
HAHA. Here I am again. Now I know that most of you this is just a piece of cakeee..
Well for me, the cake is a lie. It's HAAARRDD. Most especially if you're a newbie. HAHA

"A girl weighing 620N sits in the middle of a 2.8m long hammock which sags 1.2m below the point of support. What force is exerted by each of the ropes supporting the hammock?"

I need some guidance. AGAIN. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a diagram showing the length, sag and forces can be beneficial. Ultimately you want to express the condition for equilibrium; you need an angle for that, which can be found from the diagram.

Yup, I did that but I disregarded the sag. I only calculated the tensions on both ropes which is I think is wrong.

Can you show your diagram?

andorei said:
Yup, I did that but I disregarded the sag. I only calculated the tensions on both ropes which is I think is wrong.

You must include the sag.

No diagram is given and I haven't made one yet.

But I think using the first condition of equilibrium is the one to be used.

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = 0
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = 0

Summation of all forces must be equal to zero, amirite?

I just don't know how to pull this off.

Our teacher never taught us about the sags or they way it will sag because of the forces acting on it.

I guess your teacher never showed you how to sit in a hammock, either.

Use your common sense; which direction can a rope sag in if you sit on it?

Pi-Bond said:
Use your common sense; which direction can a rope sag in if you sit on it?

The ropes will sag on the center. Then what now?

Right, it sags in the center, but which direction? (Up or down?)

Down. obviously.

Draw a diagram with all this information, and show us.

1. What is equilibrium in mechanics?

Equilibrium in mechanics refers to a state where the forces acting on an object are balanced and there is no net force or acceleration. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the net force acting on the object is zero.

3. How do you calculate equilibrium in a system with multiple forces?

To calculate equilibrium in a system with multiple forces, you must first draw a free-body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use the equations ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0 to find the horizontal and vertical components of the forces, respectively. If both equations are satisfied, the object is in equilibrium.

4. How does the center of mass relate to equilibrium?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In a system in equilibrium, the center of mass will remain at a constant position, regardless of the forces acting on the object. This is because the forces are balanced, and there is no net torque acting on the object.

5. Can an object be in both translational and rotational equilibrium at the same time?

Yes, an object can be in both translational and rotational equilibrium at the same time. This occurs when the forces acting on the object are balanced, and there is no net torque. In this case, the object will be at rest and will not rotate.