How Can I Build a Fast and Efficient Mouse Trap Racer?

• Thread starter Kmoore Breh
  • Start date
In summary, the task was to build a mouse trap racer that could travel 6m and carry a full can of Pepsi-non Diet, while finishing in under 9 seconds (with the possibility of receiving a higher grade for finishing in under 5.5 seconds). The student attempted different designs, including a four wheeled racer and a two wheeled racer, but ultimately found success with a four wheeled racer using light weight materials and a heavier mouse trap arm. The final result met all the requirements, traveling 6m in under 9 seconds.
Kmoore Breh

Homework Statement

I must build a mouse trap racer which travels 6m and it must carry a full can of Pepsi-non Diet. It must finish in under 9seconds, However if I finish in under 5.5 sec. I get 100% and no written work so a fast model would be very nice. There are no restrictions on mass or materials. Thanks for any ideas / help.

Homework Equations

K= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make a basic four wheeled racer with a large mouse trap arm and it did not reach the specified distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I then tried to make a two wheeled racer with a smaller mouse trap arm and it also did not reach the specified distance. I then tried to make a two wheeled racer with a larger mouse trap arm, but still it did not reach the specified distance. I then tried to make a four wheeled racer with a larger mouse trap arm and it worked. I used a combination of light weight materials such as aluminum, plastic, and wood. I also used a heavier mouse trap arm to increase the momentum. The final result was a mouse trap racer that traveled 6m in under 9 seconds.

1. How does a mouse trap racer work?

A mouse trap racer works by utilizing the stored energy in a mouse trap's spring. When the trap is released, the spring quickly expands, propelling the racer forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a mouse trap racer?

The main materials needed to build a mouse trap racer include a mouse trap, wheels, axles, and a body for the racer. Other materials such as cardboard, straws, and rubber bands can also be used for added support and stability.

3. How do you make a mouse trap racer go faster?

To make a mouse trap racer go faster, several factors need to be considered. These include reducing friction by using smooth wheels and axles, using a lightweight body, and maximizing the tension on the mouse trap's spring.

4. Can a mouse trap racer be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a mouse trap racer can be a great educational tool for teaching basic principles of physics, such as potential and kinetic energy, and motion. It can also be used to teach concepts of design, problem-solving, and teamwork.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a mouse trap racer?

Yes, it is important to handle the mouse trap with caution and keep fingers away from the snapping mechanism. Children should be supervised when building and using a mouse trap racer, and safety goggles can be worn as an extra precaution.