1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another nasty question, RE: superheated wet steam?

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gas fired superheater takes wet steam at a pressure of 40 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.95 and heats it isobarically such that it leaves at 380c. Assuming no losses occur, sketch the process on a ts diagram and determine;

i)the rise in specific entropy through the superheater
    ii)the necessary rate of heat transfer to the steam, neglecting kinetic and potential energy changes, if the steam flowrate is 1.2 Kg/s
    iii)the volumetric flow rate of gas in m^3/hr needed to fire the super heater, if combustion is 100% efficient and the gas has a calorific value (LCV) of 17,500 kJ/m^3
    iv)the annual cost of firing the superheater if the combustion efficiency is now 85% and the gas costs 2.1p/m^3

2. Relevant equations
    Don't know where to start or what equations to use???

3. The attempt at a solution
    Haven't got a clue, searched the internet for similar examples or relevant equation, nothing in my notes either or in the books i have from the library!
    HELP! please.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?