How Do You Calculate the Second Derivative of a Parametric Equation?

• Thread starter ILoveBaseball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of the given functions x = cos(t)^7 and y = 8sin(t)^2. The final answer is derived using a combination of the chain rule and implicit differentiation, and is expressed as a function of t. The correct answer is \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{80}{49} \sec^{12}{t}.
ILoveBaseball
[tex]x = cos(t)^7[/tex]
[tex]y= 8sin(t)^2[/tex]

Find [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] expressed as a function of [tex]t[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] = _________

well second derivative for y is [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt} = (16*cos(2t))[/tex]

dx/dt = (-7*cos(t)^6*sin(t))

so dx^2 = ((-7*cos(t)^6*sin(t)))^2 right?

so...[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(16*cos(2t))}{(-7*cos(t)^6*sin(t))^2} [/tex] right?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx} = \frac{\frac{d^2y}{dt}}{\frac{d^2x}{dt}} [/tex]

[tex] x = cos(t)^7. y= 8sin(t)^2 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = -7cos(t)^6sin(t) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = 16sin(t)cos(t) [/tex]

I'll let you derive the rest.

Remember [tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx} = \frac{d\frac{dy}{dx}}{dx} [/tex]

Aka the second derivative.

so it wants the second derivative of both y and x? then divide y/x? but it's dx^2 not d^2x, or is it the same? well if you want the second derivative of both, it should look like this, but it's not correct:

[tex]\frac{(16*cos(2t))}{(-7/2*cos(t)^5*((7*cos(2t))-5))}[/tex]

by the chain rule,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

differentiate directly for [itex] \frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] and implicitly for [itex]\frac{dt}{dx}.[/itex]

You can then just differentiate again (implicitly) for [itex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/itex]

I get

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{80}{49} \sec^{12}{t}[/tex]

i don't get how you got 80/49*sec(t)^12 which is the correct answer.

dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(8*2*sin(t)*cos(t))}{(-7*cos(t)^6*sin(t))}[/tex] (this is correct, it was the first question asked and i got it correct)

so are you telling me to now differentiate that function from above agian? if i do that, i get a different answer from you

Your derivative is correct. It simplifies to

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-16}{7}\sec^5{t}[/tex]

from there, differentiate implicitly wrt [itex]x[/itex] for the second derivative. If you try and don't get the right answer, post your work and I'll help~

Last edited:
I think your getting confused with mixing the chain rule + implicit differentiation. Just take it one step at a time. The answer you posted above is correct and indeed simplifies to what Data told you. Now take the numerator, differentiate it with respect to T, do the same with the denominator, and divide the two. This is dy/dx.

It may be harder to see, but both my method and datas method are two ways to do the same problem. His is more efficient, but mine has easier steps.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Second Derivative of a Parametric Equation?

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that defines a relationship between two or more variables. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and physics to describe the motion of objects, curves, and surfaces.

2. How is a parametric equation different from a Cartesian equation?

A parametric equation uses parameters or variables to describe a relationship, while a Cartesian equation uses specific variables such as x and y. Parametric equations are often used to describe more complex curves and shapes that cannot be easily represented by Cartesian equations.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations allow for a more flexible and precise description of curves and shapes. They can also be used to solve problems in physics and engineering, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a pendulum.

4. Can parametric equations be graphed?

Yes, parametric equations can be graphed using parametric plotting tools or software. These graphs can show the relationship between two or more variables and allow for a visual representation of the curve or shape described by the equation.

5. How are parametric equations used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and also play a crucial role in computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-generated imagery (CGI).

Back