1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another parametric question

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    If [tex]f(\theta)[/tex] is given by:[tex]f(\theta) = 6cos^3(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]g(\theta)[/tex] is given by:[tex]g(\theta) = 6sin^3(\theta)[/tex]
    Find the total length of the astroid described by [tex]f(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]g(\theta)[/tex].
    (The astroid is the curve swept out by ([tex]f(\theta)[/tex],[tex]g(\theta)[/tex]) as [tex]\theta[/tex] ranges from 0 to 2pi )

[tex]f/d(\theta) = -18*cos(x)^2*sin(x)[/tex]
    [tex]g/d(\theta) = 18*sin(x)^2*cos(x)[/tex]

this is asking for arclength right?
    my integral:

anyone what's wrong with my integral? cause i keep getting the wrong answer.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2
    I suppose it's all right with your integral. What a result do You receive? In which way You integrated it?
  4. Apr 6, 2005 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do not forget that

Integral from 0 to pi/2 and multiple the result by 4.

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4
    i used my calculator to integrate my function. I also used another math program on my computer to verify it. i integrated from 0 to pi/2 and got 9.558*4 = 38.232 but it's incorrect and i dont understand why. Also tried to integrate from 0 to 2pi and got 50.253217, but it wont take that either.
  6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    From 0 to pi/2 i and "Mathematica" got 9. Thus the total length is 9*4=36. Agree?
  7. Apr 6, 2005 #6
    awesome thanks
  8. Apr 6, 2005 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simplify your integrand. It becomes

Integral from 0 to pi/2, multiply by 4. The result should be 36.

You could have made the mistake with your programs that you did not set to radians and the program calculated with degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?