Finding the Arclength of an Astroid Curve

• Thread starter ILoveBaseball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary: I also used another math program on my computer to verify it. i integrated from 0 to pi/2 and got 9.558*4 = 38.232 but it's incorrect and i don't understand why. Also tried to integrate from 0 to 2pi and got 50.253217, but it won't take that either. Simplify your integrand. It becomes \int_{0}^{2\pi}18|\sin\theta\cos\theta|d\theta
ILoveBaseball
If [tex]f(\theta)[/tex] is given by:[tex]f(\theta) = 6cos^3(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]g(\theta)[/tex] is given by:[tex]g(\theta) = 6sin^3(\theta)[/tex]
Find the total length of the astroid described by [tex]f(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]g(\theta)[/tex].
(The astroid is the curve swept out by ([tex]f(\theta)[/tex],[tex]g(\theta)[/tex]) as [tex]\theta[/tex] ranges from 0 to 2pi )

[tex]f/d(\theta) = -18*cos(x)^2*sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]g/d(\theta) = 18*sin(x)^2*cos(x)[/tex]

this is asking for arclength right?
my integral:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{(-18*cos(\theta)^2*sin(\theta))^2+(18*sin(\theta)^2*cos(\theta))^2}[/tex]

anyone what's wrong with my integral? cause i keep getting the wrong answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it's all right with your integral. What a result do You receive? In which way You integrated it?

ILoveBaseball said:
my integral:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{(-18*cos(\theta)^2*sin(\theta))^2+(18*sin(\theta)^2*cos(\theta))^2}[/tex]

anyone what's wrong with my integral? cause i keep getting the wrong answer.

Do not forget that

[tex]\sqrt{(\sin\theta)^2(\cos\theta)^2}=|\sin\theta\cos\theta|[/tex]

Integral from 0 to pi/2 and multiple the result by 4.

ehild

i used my calculator to integrate my function. I also used another math program on my computer to verify it. i integrated from 0 to pi/2 and got 9.558*4 = 38.232 but it's incorrect and i don't understand why. Also tried to integrate from 0 to 2pi and got 50.253217, but it won't take that either.

From 0 to pi/2 i and "Mathematica" got 9. Thus the total length is 9*4=36. Agree?

awesome thanks

ILoveBaseball said:
i used my calculator to integrate my function. I also used another math program on my computer to verify it. i integrated from 0 to pi/2 and got 9.558*4 = 38.232 but it's incorrect and i don't understand why. Also tried to integrate from 0 to 2pi and got 50.253217, but it won't take that either.

Simplify your integrand. It becomes

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}18|\sin\theta\cos\theta|d\theta[/tex]

Integral from 0 to pi/2, multiply by 4. The result should be 36.

You could have made the mistake with your programs that you did not set to radians and the program calculated with degrees.

ehild

FAQ: Finding the Arclength of an Astroid Curve

1. What is a parametric question?

A parametric question is a type of question that involves multiple variables or parameters. These questions typically ask for relationships or comparisons between these variables.

2. How is a parametric question different from a non-parametric question?

A non-parametric question only involves one variable, while a parametric question involves multiple variables. Non-parametric questions focus on simple descriptions or characteristics, while parametric questions focus on relationships or comparisons.

3. Why are parametric questions important in scientific research?

Parametric questions allow scientists to explore and understand the relationships between different variables and how they may affect each other. This can help in making predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions.

4. What are some examples of parametric questions?

Examples of parametric questions include: "How does the temperature affect the rate of enzyme activity?", "Is there a correlation between exercise and heart rate?", and "How does the concentration of a solution affect the growth of a plant?"

5. How do you formulate a good parametric question?

A good parametric question should clearly define the variables being studied and the relationship between them. It should also be specific, measurable, and testable. It is also important to consider potential confounding factors and control for them in the research design.

Back