Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Polar Coordinates + Integration Question

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    I came across this example on the net :

We are integrating over the region that is the area inside of r = 3 + 2 sin θ and outside of r = 2, working in polar coordinates (r,θ).

What is the limits of integration for θ?

# I already know the answer. But I have no idea how to arrive at the solution.

# Do I sketch r = 3 + 2 sin θ and r = 2? r = 2 is just circle centered at origin with radius 2. What about r = 3 + 2 sin θ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you should plot them. The curves cross where they have equal r values. Set the r's equal and solve for theta. Then, using your picture to see which region is being asked for, set up an integral like this:

[tex]A = \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta_1} \int_{r_{inner}}^{r_{outer}} r dr d\theta[/tex]

Check your picture and be sure you are integrating in the positive direction for theta.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    How do I plot r = 3 + 2 sin θ without resorting to a graphing calculator? (and without knowing that equation represents a Limaçon)

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    Help! I just got to this site because i am looking for help with wind generators but can't figure out how to start a new thead.

can you help or direct me to where I need to go?

6. Sep 24, 2009 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make a table of values. For every 30 degrees (pi/6) value of theta plot r.

7. Sep 24, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the top of the page click on Physics Forums. Then click on one that looks good for that topic. Then click on the "New Topic" button there at the top.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook