What is the Relationship Between Probabilities of Independent Events?

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of occurrence of event E1 is α, the probability of occurrence of event E2 is β, and the probability of occurrence of event E3 is γ. The probability that only E1 occurs is α, only E2 occurs is β, and only E3 occurs is γ.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Of the three independent events E1 , E2 and E3, the probability that only E1 occurs is α, only E2 occurs is β and only E3 occurs is γ. Let the probability p that none of the events E1 , E2 and E3 occurs satisfy the equations
## (α - 2β) p = αβ ## and ## (β - 3γ) p = 2βγ ##.
All the given probabilities are assumed to lie in the interval (0,1).
Then, (Probability of occurrence of E1) / (Probability of occurrence of E3) =

Answer is 6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s3.amazonaws.com/minglebox-photo/core-0000-c88370190d4b414d010d4b415d220010.data-0000-fdbffe7622c53ecd0122c5c50d0b0334.gif

I don't know how to use those equations. All I know is what regions α, β, γ and p represent. α ≡ region 1, β ≡ region 3, γ ≡ region 7 and
1 - regions(1+2+3+4+5+6+7) = p. How do I proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key is that the events are independent, so the probabilities of the joint occurrence or non-occurrence of different events is simply the product of the individual probabilities.

To use that fact, define A, B, C to be the probabilities of occurrence of each of the three events. Then you can write ##\alpha,\beta,\gamma## and ##p## each in terms of A,B,C.

Then your two equations above will be equations in terms of unknown probabilities A, B and C and you are asked to find A/C. See if you can rearrange the two equations so that they are in terms of the two unknowns B and A/C. If you can do that, you will have two equations and two unknowns, which you can solve.

I did that actually, it didn't lead anywhere. Let me post it.

I tried it and it worked for me: I got 6. There's an awful lot of cancelling that happens when you write out the equations, and it simplifies nicely.
Perhaps you made a misstep somewhere that stopped things from cancelling as they should.

Let P(E1) = a , P(E2) = b and P(E3) = c.

α = a - ab - ac + abc
β = b - ab - bc + abc
γ = c - ac - bc + abc
p = (1-a)(1-b)(1-c)

I can't use these to solve the equations. I tried various ways, it's not working.

Oh perhaps. Let me check again.

Try the following. It'll be less messy, and hence less likely to generate mistakes. Write ##a'## for ##1-a, b'## for ##1-b, c'## for ##1-c##.
Then you get ##\alpha=ab'c',\beta=a'bc',\gamma=ab'c',p=a'b'c'## which is much neater and easier to use.
Write your two equations out using ##a,b,c,a',b',c'## and you'll find you can do a lot of cancelling and greatly simplify them before you need to convert ##a', b' c'## back to expressions in terms of ##a,b,c##.

If it doesn't work, post what you did.

Likes erisedk
Thank you so much! I got it :)

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on the assumption of equally likely outcomes, while experimental probability is based on actual observations or experiments. Theoretical probability is calculated using mathematical principles, while experimental probability is calculated by conducting experiments and collecting data.

4. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. This would indicate that an event is certain to occur, which goes against the definition of probability.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other, meaning the outcome of one event does not impact the outcome of the other. Dependent events are events that are affected by each other, meaning the outcome of one event depends on the outcome of the other.