Another problem involving cyclic groups.

Off the cuff, gcd(n,k) does not equal k (dissimilar to before). So, our nice equation in (1) won't work... Is this the right idea?Yes, that is the right idea. You need to find a different way to show that there are exactly m solutions. Perhaps think about using the fact that G is finite cyclic and use properties of cyclic groups to show that there are exactly m solutions. Keep working on it and I'm sure you'll find the right approach. Good luck!
jmjlt88
Show that in a finite cyclic group G of order n, writtten multiplicatively, the equation xm = e has exactly m solutions x in G for each positive integers m that divides n.

Attempt...

Proof:

Let G be a finite cyclic group of order n, and suppose m is a positive integer that divides n. Let x be an element in G. Then, x generates a cyclic subgroup of G that contains (n/m) elements since the gcd(n,m)=m [we know this by a theorem presented in the section0.
Hence,

(1) (xm)n/m= xn= e.

The positive integer m was picked arbitrarily. Thus, equation (1) will hold for each m that divides n. Hence, xm=e has exactly m solutions.

QED??

Does this hold or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Absorbed into next post

Last edited:
jmjlt88 said:
Show that in a finite cyclic group G of order n, writtten multiplicatively, the equation xm = e has exactly m solutions x in G for each positive integers m that divides n.

Attempt...

Proof:

Let G be a finite cyclic group of order n, and suppose m is a positive integer that divides n. Let x be an element in G.
The proof starts out bad, x is arbitrary, it could be the identity. I think you want to start by selecting the generator x of G (remind me why such exists). Then let z=xn/,
Then, x generates a cyclic subgroup of G that contains (n/m) elements since the gcd(n,m)=m [we know this by a theorem presented in the section0.
Hence,

(1) (xm)n/m= xn= e.

The positive integer m was picked arbitrarily. Thus, equation (1) will hold for each m that divides n. Hence, xm=e has exactly m solutions.

QED??

Does this hold or am I missing something?

The rest looks like you're on the right track. Might write zm=(xn/m)m=xn=e. Show that zk≠e for 0<k<m. (I think that's the hard part:)

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

I'll add the details later...

Suppose G is generated by a.

Take x element of G. Then x can be written as as for some integer s.

Then,

1) (xm)n/m= ((as)n)n/m = (as)n= e.

This shows at least m solutions. Thus, we still need to show that there are exactly m solutions. Let 0<k<m. We must show xk≠e.

I'll work on this tonight! =)

Off the cuff, gcd(n,k) does not equal k (dissimilar to before). So, our nice equation in (1) won't work... Is this the right idea?

Is the following, perhaps, a better idea?

Proof:

Since G is a finite cyclic group of order n, it is isomorphic to Zn. [Theorem in book]. Let m be positive integer that divides n. Thus, n=km for some positive integer k. We want to show that there are exactly x solution to the equation xm=e, but since we are in Z, the equation becomes mx=0. The identity element 0 serves as a solution since m(0)=0. Also, since n=km, m(k)=n=0. Then every multiple of k will also make our equation 0 since mk=0. Thus, 0, k, 2k, 3k, ... , (m-1)k will also be soltions to our equation. Hence, there are exactly m solutions.

QED

It is hard to say where you should go next, so I'll just point out where I see plain old mistakes.

jmjlt88 said:
Thank you so much!

I'll add the details later...

Suppose G is generated by a.

That sounds weird to me. I think you're given that G is finite cyclic, so somehow (you fill in the details), that implies that it is generated by some element.

Take x element of G. Then x can be written as as for some integer s.

So Here it looks like you're assuming G is generated by a (you need to say these things explicitly). But x still looks arbitrary, s could be 0, and x=e. You need to be more specific in your choices, but if you're just searching for the proof, that's fine, keep looking for the logic to match up. Right now, it's not coming together yet. You want small holes in your logic, not big ones. In a sense, you ned your proof converge to a correct one, so keep writing drafts, and keep checking for the flaws. That is university math (in my opinion:)).

Then,

1) (xm)n/m= ((as)n)n/m = (as)n= e.

This shows at least m solutions.

You need to be much more thoughtful here, you're first attempt at this particular expression did not make sense to me either. I would expect something more like x^m=e, which shows there are at most, not at least, m solutions. But that is still not the correct thing to be writing, because I do not see the connection between s, n and m.

Thus, we still need to show that there are exactly m solutions. Let 0<k<m. We must show xk≠e.

If you can show these last two sentences, then you have at least m solutions (including k=0 in the end).

I'll work on this tonight! =)

That is the best idea. This problem is a very good opportunity for you to develop a long sequence of arguments. Enjoy!

What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that follows a specific pattern, known as a cycle. This means that the elements can be "cycled" through a specific sequence by repeatedly applying the operation.

How do you determine if a group is cyclic?

To determine if a group is cyclic, you can check if there exists an element in the group that, when combined with itself a certain number of times, results in all the elements in the group. If such an element exists, the group is cyclic.

What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. It is also equal to the number of times the generator element needs to be combined with itself to produce all the elements in the group.

What is a generator element in a cyclic group?

A generator element is an element in a cyclic group that, when combined with itself a certain number of times, produces all the elements in the group. It is essentially the starting element for the cycle.

What are some real-world applications of cyclic groups?

Cyclic groups have various applications in cryptography, such as in creating secure encryption algorithms. They are also used in signal processing, coding theory, and in understanding the properties of certain physical systems.