Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another simple problem

1. Mar 24, 2003 #1
    Prove this: Among any 6 natural numbers in a row (e.g. 20,21,22,23,24,25) there's at least 2 of them which have no common divisor larger than 1.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2003 #2
    All you need too do in this case is prove that the LCD (Least Common Denominator) of two consecutive integers is 1. It then follows that m consecutive integers have at least m - 1 pairs of integers that have no common divisors greater than 1. But, since I am a Sadistic Mathematician, I shall leave the proof as an exercise for the reader.
  4. Mar 24, 2003 #3
    Good, Ben-CS. Except the L in LCD means largest not least. - Anyone?
  5. Mar 24, 2003 #4
    We're both wrong: It should be GCF, for Greatest Common Factor. (Those *...* fractions are messing with my mind!)
  6. Mar 24, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

call the numbers x, x+1, x+2...x+5

Now, either x or x+1 is even, along with two other numbers. Regardless, we can redefine the set that is not divisible by 2 as y,y+2,y+4 with y defined as odd. The other numbers are multiples of 2.

Only one of these can be divisble by 3. Any multiple of 3 +/- 2 or 4 is not a multiple of 3.

We might think that if y is a multiple of 4, that y+4 would be as well, but none of them is even, so none of them is a multiple of 4.

For any higher multiples, if y=nz, where z>4, (n+1)z>y+4, ruling out higher multiples.

7. Mar 24, 2003 #6
    Correct IMO, Njorl.
  8. Mar 25, 2003 #7
    Another problem:

consider a set of 11 numbers

Define the that sets can you do the following:
    Remove 1 arbritary number from the set then divide the set in to 2 subsets of 5 numbers each and make sure that the sum of the numbers of the first subset equals the sum of the numbers of the second subset.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?