Answer Check: A golf ball is hit and hits a bee. find the work done on the bee

In summary, the ball has a potential energy of 0 and a kinetic energy of 26.93 m/s when it hits the bee.
joe426

Homework Statement

pbd3e.png

Homework Equations

F=ma
W= Fdcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the acceleration:
t= d/v
t= 37m/28m/s = 1.32s
a = v/t
a = 28m/s / 1.32s
a= 21.21 m/ss

Second, the force:
Fclub - Fgsinθ = ma
Fclub = a +gsinθ
Fclub = 21.21m/ss + 9.8m/ss sin84
Fclub = 30.96N

Then I plugged in:
W=(30.96N)(37m)cos84
W=119.75J

I'm pretty sure this is correct. only thing I'm worried about really is the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using energy considerations
You have to use potential and kinetic energy conservation to solve this problem.

joe426 said:
I first found the acceleration:
t= d/v
t= 37m/28m/s = 1.32s
a = v/t
a = 28m/s / 1.32s
a= 21.21 m/ss
That calculation is completely wrong. 28m/s is the initial speed of the ball, and it is at some angle to the vertical. The flight time to reach the bee would be 1.32s if the ball were traveling straight up at 28m/s and not slowed by gravity along the way.
What acceleration do you think this is calculating?
Second, the force:
Fclub - Fgsinθ = ma
Fclub = a +gsinθ
Fclub = 21.21m/ss + 9.8m/ss sin84
Fclub = 30.96N
It is impossible to calculate the force from the club since you do not know how long the impact lasted. You can calculate the impulse (momentum), but that doesn't help with this question.

frogjg2003 said:
You have to use potential and kinetic energy conservation to solve this problem.

So, since we can ignore resistance, the energy is conserved and the potential energy at the beginning equals the kinetic energy at the end.

PEi = KEf
mgy = 1/2mv2
v = sqrt(2gy)
v = sqrt(2 * 9.8m/s2 * 37m)
v= 26.93m/s

joe426 said:
So, since we can ignore resistance, the energy is conserved and the potential energy at the beginning equals the kinetic energy at the end.

PEi = KEf
This isn't a stone being dropped from rest. Total energy is conserved here means PEi + KEi= PEf + KEf
What is KEi?

haruspex said:
This isn't a stone being dropped from rest. Total energy is conserved here means PEi + KEi= PEf + KEf
What is KEi?

KEi = 0 because the initial velocity is 0. And would make 1/2mv2 = 0

And PEf = 0 because y is the vertical distance to move the object. we don't need to move the object because its already at its finaly position of 37m. If wrong on this and I should use 37m for y and solve for v, I end up with 0

joe426 said:
KEi = 0 because the initial velocity is 0. And would make 1/2mv2 = 0
The initial kinetic energy is not zero. The ball has some initial speed, namely 28 m/s.

And PEf = 0 because y is the vertical distance to move the object. we don't need to move the object because its already at its finaly position of 37m. If wrong on this and I should use 37m for y and solve for v, I end up with 0
It's usually more convenient to have the starting, not final position have position and potential energy 0. This means that the final position is at y=37m and a potential energy of mgy.

You know the initial potential and kinetic energies, and the final potential energy. The only thing you don't know is the final kinetic energy. Solve for this and then determine the speed.

frogjg2003 said:
The initial kinetic energy is not zero. The ball has some initial speed, namely 28 m/s.

It's usually more convenient to have the starting, not final position have position and potential energy 0. This means that the final position is at y=37m and a potential energy of mgy.

You know the initial potential and kinetic energies, and the final potential energy. The only thing you don't know is the final kinetic energy. Solve for this and then determine the speed.

Ok, I understand this and I've come up with:
1/2mvi2 = mgyf + 1/2mvf2
vf = sqrt [ vi2 - 2(gyf) ]
vf = 7.67m/s

There you go. You've got it.

1. How is work defined in the context of this scenario?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, or the energy transferred to or from an object by means of a force acting on it.

2. What is the force acting on the bee in this scenario?

The force acting on the bee is the impact force of the golf ball hitting it.

3. How can you calculate the work done on the bee?

The work done on the bee can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the bee by the distance the bee moves as a result of the impact.

4. Is the work done on the bee positive or negative?

The work done on the bee is negative, as the bee is moving in the opposite direction of the force acting on it.

5. What other factors may affect the work done on the bee in this scenario?

The mass and velocity of the golf ball, as well as the distance between the golf ball and the bee at the point of impact, may also affect the work done on the bee.