Answer Check - Find an equation of the tangent line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
ChaoticFlame
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve y = 5x3 at the point

(-3,-135). Enter your equation in y = form.

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



Taking the derivative of the equation I get

y = 15x2, following that I plug in the x value of the given point:
y = 15(-3)2
and get
y = 135

Am I doing this correctly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should write the derivative of y with a different symbol than "y". Conventional notations for the derivative are y' or dy/dx.

So you have found

y'(x) = 15x² ==> y'(-3)=135,

which is correct. But y'(3) represents the slope of the curve y(x) at the point (-3,-135). You are asked to find an equation for the line of slope 135 and passing through the point (-3,-135).