Calculating Vector & Scalar Projection of a & b

In summary, a vector has both magnitude and direction while a scalar only has magnitude. The vector projection of a onto b is the dot product of a and the unit vector in the direction of b, while the scalar projection is the magnitude of this vector projection. To calculate the scalar projection, divide the dot product of a and b by the magnitude of b. The scalar projection can be negative if the angle between a and b is greater than 90 degrees.
menal

Homework Statement

i have to find the scalar and vector projection of a=i-j+k and b=2i-j-2k
and i got:
Vector proj = (1/3)(i-j+k) = i/3 + j/3 + k/3

scalar proj = (1/9)(2i-j-2k) = 2i/9 - j/9 - 2k/9
is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
also, the angle that b makes with each of the coordinates would be 79 degrees?

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. In other words, a vector describes both how much and in what direction something is moving, while a scalar only describes how much.

2. How do you calculate the vector projection of a onto b?

The vector projection of a onto b is calculated by taking the dot product of a and the unit vector in the direction of b. This can be written as a · (b/|b|), where |b| represents the magnitude of b. The result is a vector that points in the same direction as b, with a magnitude proportional to the component of a in that direction.

3. What is the scalar projection of a onto b?

The scalar projection of a onto b is the magnitude of the vector projection of a onto b. In other words, it is the length of the shadow that a casts onto the direction of b.

4. How do you calculate the scalar projection of a onto b?

The scalar projection of a onto b can be calculated by dividing the dot product of a and b by the magnitude of b. This can be written as (a · b)/|b|.

5. Can the scalar projection of a onto b ever be negative?

Yes, the scalar projection of a onto b can be negative if the angle between a and b is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the component of a in the direction of b is in the opposite direction of b's magnitude, resulting in a negative value for the scalar projection.