How Standing Posture Affects Comfort on a Bumpy Bus Ride

• Thread starter magneto11
  • Start date
In summary, having your legs far apart gives a greater space to have a center of gravity, which helps you stay balanced on a bumpy ride.
magneto11
Why do u keep your legs far apart when you have to stand in the aisle of a bumpy-riding bus?

No Equation all theoretical

3.I searched through whole topic but could not locate the answer.I am pretty new to this subject so hopefully you will be able to answer in this in physics language (Because i found some answer on yahoo answers but they were not the types of answer i can use for my physics notebook!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: it has to do something with rotation

You know that diagram showing a bowl with a ball in it to demonstrate stable equilibrium (a small perturbation ends up with the ball at the bottom of the bowl); and an upside down bowl with ball on top (small pertutrbation results in unstable equilibrium)? And a third case for neutral equilibrium...

magento11, set the physics aside for themoment, you do this within even thinking. Can you figure out what advantage you get from it?

Consider Torque

[tex] \vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F [/tex]

We keep our legs far apart when we have to stand in the aisle of a bumpy-riding bus because it is hard to find a center of gravity standing up. Having open legs gives a greater space to have a the center there by maximizing the amount of balance you have. (Let me know if i am correct- This is the answer i came up with - If you can improve it please do help)
Thanks

magneto11 said:
We keep our legs far apart when we have to stand in the aisle of a bumpy-riding bus because it is hard to find a center of gravity standing up. Having open legs gives a greater space to have a the center there by maximizing the amount of balance you have. (Let me know if i am correct- This is the answer i came up with - If you can improve it please do help)
Thanks

well its almost right, but the center of gravity is at a point, not in some space. We keep our legs out so that that point doesn't find its way outside of our range of support, when the bus hits a bump in the road. Because if this happens we are likely to fall.

Well, yeah Alex, I think he's got it.
The space he's talking about is that space in which the CoG can move around without you being off-balance. With legs wide apart, that space is larger.

I'm amazed to find someone who has apparently never ridden a bus.

Hi there!

The wider stance makes a greater angle between the forces your legs exerts. In vector algebra, when the angle between two forces is 120° the resultant is equal to the magnitude of either of these forces. So it gives more leverage against the movement of the bus.

snhnaqvi said:
Hi there!

The wider stance makes a greater angle between the forces your legs exerts. In vector algebra, when the angle between two forces is 120° the resultant is equal to the magnitude of either of these forces. So it gives more leverage against the movement of the bus.

You do know that this thread was last active about 2 years ago, right?

1. What is the purpose of "Answer for this question"?

The purpose of "Answer for this question" is to provide a response or solution to a specific question or problem. It is a way to gain information or clarification on a topic.

2. How do I find the best answer for this question?

The best way to find an answer for a question is to conduct thorough research and gather information from reliable sources. It is important to critically evaluate the credibility of the sources and use critical thinking to determine the most accurate and relevant answer.

3. Can multiple answers be correct for "Answer for this question"?

Yes, there can be multiple correct answers for a question, especially in fields such as science where there may be different theories or perspectives on a topic. It is important to consider all possible answers and evaluate their validity before coming to a conclusion.

4. How can I improve my ability to answer questions effectively?

To improve your ability to answer questions effectively, it is important to develop strong research and critical thinking skills. Practice by seeking out and answering various types of questions and seeking feedback or guidance from experts in the field.

5. What should I do if I cannot find an answer for a question?

If you are unable to find an answer for a question, it is important to keep researching and seeking guidance from experts in the field. It may also be helpful to rephrase the question or break it down into smaller, more specific questions to find the information you are seeking.