Answer: Properties of A Ring: I, II, & III True?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a ring with the property that s=s^{2} for each s\in S. The participants determine that I, II, and III must be true. They also discuss the logic behind each statement, with II being immediately obvious from the form of the equation and the identity satisfied by elements of the ring. The conversation ends with a clarification that -s must be in S by definition of a ring and that this identity holds true in the ring.
darkchild

Homework Statement

If [tex]s[/tex] is a ring with the property that [tex]s=s^{2}[/tex] for each
[tex]s\in S[/tex], which of the following must be true?

I. s + s = 0 for each s in S.

II. [tex](s+t)^{2}=s^{2}+t^{2}[/tex] for each s,t in S.

III. S is commutative

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is I, II, and III. I understand why III is true, but not the other two. How can s + s = 0 for all s?!? In fact, I don't see how this can be a ring at all, since there don't appear to be any additive inverses in the set.

For II, I tried this:
[tex](s+t)^{2}=(s^{2}+t^{2})^{2}[/tex], which is only equal to [tex]s^{2}+t^{2}[/tex] when both s and t are the additive identity element.

Physics news on Phys.org
s is its own additive inverse if s + s = 0. Do any of those properties imply each other (two of them together imply a third one.)?

deluks917 said:
s is its own additive inverse if s + s = 0. Do any of those properties imply each other (two of them together imply a third one.)?

I don't see how one would figure that s + s = 0, though. As far as my understanding goes, only III is true.

darkchild said:
I don't see how one would figure that s + s = 0, though. As far as my understanding goes, only III is true.

(-s)^2=s^2.

I hate to say it, but II is immediately obvious from the form of the equation and the identity satisfied by elements of the ring.

Dick said:
(-s)^2=s^2.

Yes, but that doesn't imply that s=-s, right?

darkchild said:
Yes, but that doesn't imply that s=-s, right?
What identity does this ring satisfy?

darkchild said:

Homework Statement

If [tex]s[/tex] is a ring with the property that [tex]s=s^{2}[/tex] for each
[tex]s\in S[/tex], which of the following must be true?

I. s + s = 0 for each s in S.

II. [tex](s+t)^{2}=s^{2}+t^{2}[/tex] for each s,t in S.

III. S is commutative

I:[tex](s+s)^{2}=s + s = 4s^2 = 4s[/tex]

II: [tex](s+t)^{2}=s+t[/tex]

lavinia said:
I:[tex](s+s)^{2}=s + s = 4s^2 = 4s[/tex]

II: [tex](s+t)^{2}=s+t[/tex]

Oh, I see how II works now.

Hurkyl said:
What identity does this ring satisfy?

Ok, I see. -s must be in S by definition of a ring, and
[tex]-s=(-s)^{2}=s^{2}=s[/tex]. Thanks

What are the properties of a ring?

The properties of a ring are a set of characteristics that describe its behavior and structure. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of identity element, and existence of inverse element.

What does "I, II, & III True" mean in relation to a ring?

"I, II, & III True" refers to the three axioms that define a ring, which are known as the ring axioms. These axioms state that a ring must have a set of elements, two binary operations (usually addition and multiplication), and must satisfy certain properties, including those mentioned in the first question.

What is the significance of a ring in mathematics?

A ring is an important mathematical structure that is used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and geometry. Rings provide a framework for studying abstract algebraic structures and have many applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

How is a ring different from other mathematical structures?

A ring differs from other mathematical structures, such as groups and fields, in terms of the operations and properties it must satisfy. For example, while a group only has one binary operation and a field has two operations with specific properties, a ring has two operations that may not necessarily satisfy all the properties of a field.

What are some real-world applications of rings?

Rings have many real-world applications, including in computer science, physics, and engineering. In computer science, rings are used in coding and encryption algorithms. In physics, rings are used to model certain physical phenomena, such as particle interactions. In engineering, rings are used in areas such as signal processing and control systems.