Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-gravity - is it far from us?

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    How far are we from developing this technology, also, what idea and technologies are being used to propose this to make it a possible reality?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

Gold Member

It's about as far away as something can get. There are no ideas or technologies geared toward it. We don't even know what gravity is yet.
  4. Nov 9, 2005 #3
    Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as saying there are 'no' ideas geared towards it because I have seen numerous articles and proposals pertaining to anti-gravity (I'm not saying they are proven, or even work for that matter), but I think that our best bet would be supercooled semi-conductors from what I have read in the past.
  5. Nov 9, 2005 #4

Gold Member

It may not even exist....
  6. Nov 9, 2005 #5
    Hmm I don't know.... Newton's third law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." could this also apply to gravity itself?
  7. Nov 9, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Then the reaction should be all around us.
  8. Nov 9, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... you may mean supercooled superconductors as in the Podkletnov effect. If this is correct, you may want to do a search on here on that. As far as the physics community goes, this is a non-effect that has not been successfully reproduced, even by Podkletnov itself.

There will NEVER been an "engineering design" of a phenomenon that has not been verified. One verifies and understands the phenomenon FIRST, and then the engineering aspect of it comes next. So why this question is being asked in this forum before the validity aspect of it is established, I have no idea.

And oh, Newton's 3rd law works very well already with gravity. The "reaction" here is the pull on the earth by the object the same way the object is being pulled by the earth. I thought this was clearly covered in intro Physics classes already?

9. Nov 9, 2005 #8

Gold Member

I'm still rather amazed that I can't really grasp the idea that im pulling on the earth as well. I'm going to be a useless physicist.
  10. Nov 9, 2005 #9

Staff: Mentor

Sorry vincentm, this isn't engineering - it isn't even physics. All anti-gravity research has produced so far is crackpots, lawsuits, and entertaining hoaxes.
  11. Nov 9, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Same force, different masses, hence different accelerations.

Earth pulls your body with ~1000N force, which is enough to get you moving; OTOH, those same 1000N would barely move a 4000 tons cargo ship... let alone a whole planet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?