Anti-gravity - is it far from us?

  • Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • #1
321
3
How far are we from developing this technology, also, what idea and technologies are being used to propose this to make it a possible reality?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
249
It's about as far away as something can get. There are no ideas or technologies geared toward it. We don't even know what gravity is yet.
 
  • #3
11
0
Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as saying there are 'no' ideas geared towards it because I have seen numerous articles and proposals pertaining to anti-gravity (I'm not saying they are proven, or even work for that matter), but I think that our best bet would be supercooled semi-conductors from what I have read in the past.
 
  • #4
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
It may not even exist....
 
  • #5
11
0
Hmm I don't know.... Newton's third law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." could this also apply to gravity itself?
 
  • #6
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
josephjah said:
Hmm I don't know.... Newton's third law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." could this also apply to gravity itself?

Then the reaction should be all around us.
 
  • #7
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
35,847
4,676
josephjah said:
Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as saying there are 'no' ideas geared towards it because I have seen numerous articles and proposals pertaining to anti-gravity (I'm not saying they are proven, or even work for that matter), but I think that our best bet would be supercooled semi-conductors from what I have read in the past.

Er... you may mean supercooled superconductors as in the Podkletnov effect. If this is correct, you may want to do a search on here on that. As far as the physics community goes, this is a non-effect that has not been successfully reproduced, even by Podkletnov itself.

There will NEVER been an "engineering design" of a phenomenon that has not been verified. One verifies and understands the phenomenon FIRST, and then the engineering aspect of it comes next. So why this question is being asked in this forum before the validity aspect of it is established, I have no idea.

And oh, Newton's 3rd law works very well already with gravity. The "reaction" here is the pull on the earth by the object the same way the object is being pulled by the earth. I thought this was clearly covered in intro Physics classes already?

Zz.
 
  • #8
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
ZapperZ said:
And oh, Newton's 3rd law works very well already with gravity. The "reaction" here is the pull on the earth by the object the same way the object is being pulled by the earth. I thought this was clearly covered in intro Physics classes already?
Zz.

I'm still rather amazed that I can't really grasp the idea that im pulling on the earth as well. I'm going to be a useless physicist.
 
  • #9
russ_watters
Mentor
20,572
7,231
Sorry vincentm, this isn't engineering - it isn't even physics. All anti-gravity research has produced so far is crackpots, lawsuits, and entertaining hoaxes.
 
  • #10
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
736
1
Pengwuino said:
I'm still rather amazed that I can't really grasp the idea that im pulling on the earth as well. I'm going to be a useless physicist.

Same force, different masses, hence different accelerations.

Earth pulls your body with ~1000N force, which is enough to get you moving; OTOH, those same 1000N would barely move a 4000 tons cargo ship... let alone a whole planet.
 

Related Threads on Anti-gravity - is it far from us?

  • Last Post
3
Replies
63
Views
24K
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
41
Views
11K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
4K
Replies
4
Views
1K
Replies
11
Views
725
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
11K
Replies
3
Views
16K
Replies
7
Views
3K
Top