New Technology: Scientists Create 'Anti-Laser' Device

In summary, a recent paper published in the journal Science discusses the development of an "anti-laser" that is able to absorb 99.4% of incoming light at a specific wavelength. This technology has potential applications in the fields of electrical and electronic engineering. The article also raises questions about the efficiency of current methods of transmitting via wire and the possibility of using this technology for long-distance power transmission. However, further research is needed to fully understand the potential of this anti-laser technology.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12453893

I ran across this article and found it to be quite interesting. I am not academically versed to understand the physics of this application, but it seems that it could have huge impact within the electrical and electronic engineering fields.

In a paper published in the journal Science they demonstrated that the anti-laser could adsorb 99.4 per cent of incoming light, for a specific wavelength.

How does this efficiency compare with current methods of transmitting via a wire? Would it be possible to transmit power over extremely long distances with this, or will the inverse-square law play a role?

Like I said, I don't know any physics as of yet, but I found this story to be interesting and it perked my imagination.*EDIT* If I'm not mistaken, a laser is simply highly concentrated light radiation; so would that make this "Anti-Laser" a super-photovoltaic? That's probably a stretch.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Their device focuses two lasers beams of a specific frequency into a specially designed optical cavity made from silicon, which traps the incoming beams of light and forces them to bounce around until all their energy is dissipated.

Nevermind, I need to read a little better before I start spouting off. Not quite what I imagined.

What is an "Anti-Laser" device?

An "Anti-Laser" device is a technology that can absorb and cancel out laser beams, effectively making them invisible. It is created using a material that can absorb and convert the energy of the laser into heat.

How does an "Anti-Laser" device work?

The device is made up of a series of layers of silicon, each with different properties. When a laser beam is directed at the device, the first layer absorbs the energy and converts it into heat. This heat is then transferred to the next layer, and so on, until the laser beam is completely absorbed and canceled out.

What are the potential applications of this technology?

One potential application of the "Anti-Laser" device is in optical computing, where it can be used to control and manipulate light signals without interference from other light sources. It could also be used in laser-based medical treatments to eliminate unwanted laser beams.

How is this technology different from traditional laser technology?

Traditional laser technology uses materials that amplify light, while the "Anti-Laser" device uses materials that absorb light. This fundamental difference allows the "Anti-Laser" device to effectively cancel out laser beams, providing a new way to control and manipulate light.

What are the limitations of the "Anti-Laser" device?

The current "Anti-Laser" device can only cancel out laser beams of a specific wavelength, making it limited in its applications. It also requires precise tuning and alignment to work effectively. Additionally, the materials used in the device are not yet able to withstand high-power laser beams, making it unsuitable for certain applications.