Anti Laser

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
MacLaddy
Gold Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12453893

I ran across this article and found it to be quite interesting. I am not academically versed to understand the physics of this application, but it seems that it could have huge impact within the electrical and electronic engineering fields.

In a paper published in the journal Science they demonstrated that the anti-laser could adsorb 99.4 per cent of incoming light, for a specific wavelength.

How does this efficiency compare with current methods of transmitting via a wire? Would it be possible to transmit power over extremely long distances with this, or will the inverse-square law play a role?

Like I said, I don't know any physics as of yet, but I found this story to be interesting and it perked my imagination.

*EDIT* If I'm not mistaken, a laser is simply highly concentrated light radiation; so would that make this "Anti-Laser" a super-photovoltaic? That's probably a stretch.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

MacLaddy
Gold Member

Their device focuses two lasers beams of a specific frequency into a specially designed optical cavity made from silicon, which traps the incoming beams of light and forces them to bounce around until all their energy is dissipated.

Nevermind, I need to read a little better before I start spouting off. Not quite what I imagined.