Any advice for choosing a major?

In summary, if you want to get a job in engineering with a bachelors degree, I suggest getting an engineering degree with a focus in project management and mathematics.
sce
I am currently a freshman and I am feeling increasing pressure to choose a major. I do not really know what I want to do but I have done some research and have narrowed it down to physics, math, or engineering (all except chemistry focused ones). I have really enjoyed all my calculus classes and physics classes, but I am worried about getting a job in those with just a bachelors degree. Can anyone offer some advise? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As a general statement, there are usually more jobs in engineering than in pure science. I suggest therefore that you look at the many engineering options and choose one of those.

Likes Fervent Freyja and College drop out
I'm in the same boat only I'm 21, lol but pretty much like dr.d said most of the options for careers are in engineering. It seems the overwhelming majority of college majors are deemed "useless" by many.

I don't think anybody would call physics "useless," but it is a simple fact that there have always been more jobs for engineers than for physicists. It is also true that many physics majors wind up in engineering jobs, but is that the best way to get there? Some might say "yes," but I think not.

If I may speak personally for a moment, one of my first industrial jobs carried the title "Senior Staff Physicist," even though all of my degrees are in engineering. In that company, and in countless others as well, the title "Engineer" meant project engineer, the person who was responsible for a particular contract fulfillment. When they wanted someone who could handle higher math and advanced classical physics, that person was, by definition called a "Physicist." My predecessor in the position had been a Dutch physicist (he died in the job), but I was entirely able to step in and pick up the work and carry it to conclusion.

A BS in Engineering typically prepares a person to become a project engineer, which means some minimal amount of applied physics, and a whole lot of project management (facilities, scheduling, budgets, etc). If you want to do something more involved with the theoretical side, even if it is also experimental such as being a test engineer, then I strongly recommend getting an MS. This will mark you as a person with much more solid physics background.

sce said:
I am currently a freshman and I am feeling increasing pressure to choose a major. I do not really know what I want to do but I have done some research and have narrowed it down to physics, math, or engineering (all except chemistry focused ones). I have really enjoyed all my calculus classes and physics classes, but I am worried about getting a job in those with just a bachelors degree. Can anyone offer some advise? Thanks!

Have you considered statistics and computer science? Mathematics with computer science, statistics with computer science, mathematics with statistics are solid choices.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and future career goals. You should also think about the job market and potential salary for your chosen major, as well as the courses and requirements for the program.

2. Is it better to choose a major based on my passions or on job prospects?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. If you are passionate about a particular subject, it may be worth pursuing that major even if it may not have as many job opportunities. However, if job prospects are a top priority for you, it may be beneficial to choose a major that aligns with in-demand industries.

3. Can I switch majors if I change my mind?

Yes, most universities allow students to change their major if they decide their current one is not the right fit. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences, such as additional time and coursework, before making a decision to switch.

4. How can I explore different majors to find the right fit?

One way to explore different majors is to take a variety of classes in different subjects during your first year of college. You can also talk to academic advisors, professors, and students in different majors to gain insight into the coursework and potential career paths.

5. Will my major determine my career path?

While your major can influence your career path, it does not necessarily determine it. Many students end up pursuing careers that are unrelated to their undergraduate major. Employers often value transferable skills and experience over a specific major, so it is important to gain relevant experience and skills through internships, extracurricular activities, and part-time jobs.