Any components to determine the charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electronic electroscopes and the challenge of determining whether the charges are positive or negative. Suggestions are made to add components to the device, such as a circuit that draws more current for positive voltage and less for negative voltage, or FETs with built-in static protection. However, the suggested model, MPF102 Field Effect Transistor (FET), is only available in the US. The conversation ends with a request for any further suggestions on alternative components.
oem7110
I would like to make an electronic electroscopes based on following concept, but its design cannot determine whether the charges are positive or negative.
Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of components I can add into this device to determine the charges?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://amasci.com/emotor/chargdet.html

Engineering news on Phys.org
That circuit will draw more current if the voltage is positive and less if it is negative, so you can easily tell which is which.

I built something similar years ago, with a meter instead of the LED, and it worked, but the FET tended to get destroyed fairly easily.

I suppose you could hunt for FETs with built-in static protection.

vk6kro said:
That circuit will draw more current if the voltage is positive and less if it is negative, so you can easily tell which is which.

I built something similar years ago, with a meter instead of the LED, and it worked, but the FET tended to get destroyed fairly easily.

I suppose you could hunt for FETs with built-in static protection.

Do you have any suggested model for FETs with built-in static protection?
The store only provide service within US, and I cannot find this model in my local area. MPF102 Field Effect Transistor (FET)

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions on any substituted components I can use into this device to determine the charges?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

1. What are the basic components that determine charges?

The basic components that determine charges are the type and amount of the substance, the number of electrons and protons present, and the strength of the electric field.

2. How are charges measured?

Charges are measured using a unit called Coulombs (C). One Coulomb is equal to approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. Charges can also be measured in smaller units such as microCoulombs (µC) or nanoCoulombs (nC).

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are carried by protons, which have a positive electric charge. Negative charges are carried by electrons, which have a negative electric charge. Opposite charges attract each other, while similar charges repel each other.

4. How do charges interact with each other?

Charges interact with each other through the forces of attraction and repulsion. Opposite charges attract each other with a force that decreases as the distance between them increases. Similar charges repel each other with a force that also decreases with distance.

5. Can charges be created or destroyed?

No, charges cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total amount of electric charge in a closed system remains constant. Charges can be transferred from one object to another, but the total amount of charge in the system remains the same.