How to determine the positive or negative charge?

In summary: However, if you are walking around all day with the same clothes on, they will eventually balance out.In summary, if I place red rod into positive side of battery and place black rod into negative side of battery, it displays +9V. If my hand is touching the black rod, and the red rod is touching the ground, then it displays a negative value.
oem7110
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRsLB6wUKEON5YRL9RD0iBTWqFzkFGrjExNCSyzpFWwjADAfQ_.jpg

Red is for + and Black is for -.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxMF9h8qAI1V_yUx2ycue_98QiS_2aqx74bfp-VzJua5AUjpZ4kw.jpg

If I place red rod into positive side of battery and place black rod into negative side of battery, it displays +9V.

If my hand is touching the black rod, and the red rod is touching the ground, then it displays a negative value,
I would like to know whether my body is carrying positive or negative charges as it compares to the ground.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is generally a function of the meter, rather than a measurement of your 'potential'. All you achieve in this scenario is present the meter with what it sees as a floating potential, because your resistance will be higher than the meter's own resistance. However, you will likely see some few 10's or 100's mV flash up due to the way the meter interprets that, plus, maybe, your sweaty body and fingers may create certain conductive paths (and possibly electrochemical reactions between your salty sweat and the nickel plated probes).

So in this case, is my body carrying more positive or negative charges as it compares to the ground?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
The charge on your body is usually low but if you walk across a carpet with plastic shoes on, you can build up a large charge due the relative properties of the carpet and your shoes.

You may not be aware of this until you touch something metallic that is grounded, when you can get a very obvious shock.

For some reason this seems to happen at airports a lot.

There is a table of the relative properties of various insulators here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric
See the chart at the right,
For example, if you rub rabbits fur on ebonite the ebonite gets a negative charge and the fur gets a positive charge.

Your body is basically a big bag of conductive liquid, so it tends to take on whatever potential your shoes develop.

People working with some types of electronic components have to wear a conductive wrist band to avoid them building up a charge and possibly zapping the electronics.

If my hand is touching the black rod, and the red rod is touching the ground, then it displays a negative value. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether my body is carrying positive or negative charges as it compares to the ground?

Positive.

If it was a charge, though, it would decrease in value as you watch it.

Did this happen? What reading do you get?

It is far more likely that the meter is picking up mains interference or a local broadcast station as has already been mentioned.

vk6kro said:
Positive.

If it was a charge, though, it would decrease in value as you watch it.

Did this happen? What reading do you get?

It is far more likely that the meter is picking up mains interference or a local broadcast station as has already been mentioned.

The reading is decreasing in value, Let ignore any interference in this case, do you have any suggestions on what charges (positive or negative) is hold within my body as comparing with the ground? +ve or -ve on my body.
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

You are not listening.

The charge would be positive.

If you reversed the leads on your multimeter, then the negative sign would go away, indicating that the polarity was correct when the positive lead was going to your body.

I think you are asking if a human body typically becomes positively or negatively charged.

It doesn't do either, but may become charged either way because of a variety of factors, most likely your clothes rubbing on your body, but possibly your shoes rubbing on the floor, particles in the air, what you've just been touching, whatever. No particular preference one way or the other, but I dare say that some particular piece of clothing will result in one polarity of charge, whereas another does the opposite.

I notice in the Tribo-electric series chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric

that air is just above human skin and a little more above human hair. So you might get a slight negative charge if you were running in dry air.

Almost any kind of clothing would develop a stronger negative charge in dry air if there was some relative movement.

1. How do I know if an atom has a positive or negative charge?

The charge of an atom is determined by the number of protons and electrons it has. If the number of protons is greater than the number of electrons, the atom will have a positive charge. If the number of electrons is greater, the atom will have a negative charge.

2. Can an atom have both a positive and negative charge?

No, an atom can only have one type of charge at a time. However, an atom can become ionized and temporarily have a positive or negative charge by gaining or losing electrons.

3. How do I determine the charge of an ion?

An ion is an atom that has gained or lost electrons, resulting in a positive or negative charge. To determine its charge, you need to know the number of protons and electrons it has. The charge will be equal to the difference between these two numbers.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative ion?

A positive ion has more protons than electrons, while a negative ion has more electrons than protons. Positive ions are attracted to negative ions, and this attraction is what holds them together in compounds.

5. How does the charge of an atom affect its chemical properties?

The charge of an atom determines its reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. Atoms with a positive charge tend to lose electrons and form positive ions, while atoms with a negative charge tend to gain electrons and form negative ions. This affects how they interact with other atoms and molecules, and ultimately determines their chemical properties.