Any Conceptual Underpinning for Partial Reflection of Light (QED)

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a good model to explain partial reflection of light by two surfaces. The question also asks if there is a high-level model for partial reflection off of one surface, and if it can be considered an example of quantum mechanical effects in everyday life. The response suggests that classical electromagnetic waves can adequately explain partial reflection by using the wave equation and boundary conditions.
jon4444
Any Conceptual Underpinning for Partial Reflection of Light (QED)?

I recently partially read Feynman's QED. At one point, he says "The situation today is, we haven't got a good model to explain partial reflection by two surfaces;..."
(page 24--can visit Amazon "Look Inside" to read)

My question is whether, on a very high level, there is any good model for partial reflection off of one surface? I understand the point that light is reacting with the entire block of glass and not just the surface--what I'd like to understand is whether this phenomenon equivalent to "wave-particle" duality (in that there are concrete equations to describe the behavior that just are not easily interpretable in the classical realm), or is it even less understood than that and it's just a phenomenon that's experimentally observed and no good model at all exists for why it happens?

In sum, if someone asked me for an example of quantum mechanical effects in everyday life, could I just point to partial reflection off a nearby window and say it's a complete mystery?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think classical EM waves account nicely for partial reflection by two surfaces.
Just use the wave equation and the boundary conditions.

1. What is Partial Reflection of Light (QED)?

Partial Reflection of Light, also known as Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), is a theory that explains the behavior of light at a quantum level. It describes how light can be both a wave and a particle, and how it interacts with matter.

2. How does Partial Reflection of Light (QED) work?

In Partial Reflection of Light, photons (particles of light) interact with charged particles, such as electrons, in matter. This interaction causes the photons to be absorbed and re-emitted by the charged particles, resulting in the reflection of light.

3. What is the significance of Partial Reflection of Light (QED) in science?

Partial Reflection of Light (QED) is a fundamental theory in physics that helps us understand the behavior of light and matter at a microscopic level. It has been successful in explaining and predicting various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. Are there any practical applications of Partial Reflection of Light (QED)?

Yes, Partial Reflection of Light (QED) has numerous practical applications in fields such as electronics, optics, and quantum computing. It has also led to the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and solar cells.

5. How does Partial Reflection of Light (QED) differ from classical theories of light?

Partial Reflection of Light (QED) differs from classical theories of light, such as Newton's theory of optics, by taking into account the quantum nature of light. It also provides a more accurate description of the behavior of light and matter, especially at very small scales.