Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any idea what this is?

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1
    any idea what this is???

Found this on stumble upon. Hope the link works. If anyone knows what this is...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a flock of birds.
  4. Dec 29, 2007 #3

Flocking behavior is very interesting mathematically, see for example, this article.
  5. Dec 29, 2007 #4
    It was very beautiful. I enjoyed that. I have seen several flocks this big, and bigger. It looks like they: A. found a food source or B. getting ready to roost for the night.
  6. Dec 29, 2007 #5
    Amazing behavior, Thought it was birds. Was not sure tho.
  7. Dec 29, 2007 #6
    Wow that was definitely interesting. I have never seen birds flock like that before.
  8. Dec 30, 2007 #7

Gold Member

Starlings, I'd guess

The blobby thing is something stuck on the windscreen of the car it was filmed from.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Dec 30, 2007 #8

Staff: Mentor

I've seen this too, but never such a huge flock and never just kinda randomly flying around. Amazing.
  10. Dec 30, 2007 #9

Gold Member

We get hundreds of starlings at a time, but never anything like this!

My sister used to do fieldwork, estimating flock sizes like this. I'll ask her how many in that flock.
  11. Jan 3, 2008 #10
    Birds. You can clearly see bird **** land on the camera at 0:12.
  12. Jan 4, 2008 #11
    definately starlings, i used to see them all the time when i was driving to work. They flock together in a particular way, different to most other birds, and the shapes they make can be really beautiful. Almost hypnotising at times.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?