What Are These Birds Doing in This Hypnotizing Video?

• Thread starter glondor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, a video of a large flock of birds was shared, leading to a discussion about the behavior of flocking and the type of birds shown in the video. The video was found on StumbleUpon and some individuals have seen similar flocks before, while others were amazed by the behavior. The conversation also touched on the possibility of the birds finding a food source or preparing to roost for the night. It was also mentioned that the blobby thing seen in the video is actually something stuck on the car's windshield. The type of birds was confirmed to be starlings and their unique flocking behavior was discussed.
glondor
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a flock of birds.

Indeed...

Flocking behavior is very interesting mathematically, see for example, http://plus.maths.org/issue42/features/dartnell/index.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
It was very beautiful. I enjoyed that. I have seen several flocks this big, and bigger. It looks like they: A. found a food source or B. getting ready to roost for the night.

Amazing behavior, Thought it was birds. Was not sure tho.

Wow that was definitely interesting. I have never seen birds flock like that before.

Starlings, I'd guess

The blobby thing is something stuck on the windscreen of the car it was filmed from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this too, but never such a huge flock and never just kinda randomly flying around. Amazing.

We get hundreds of starlings at a time, but never anything like this!

My sister used to do fieldwork, estimating flock sizes like this. I'll ask her how many in that flock.

Birds. You can clearly see bird **** land on the camera at 0:12.

definately starlings, i used to see them all the time when i was driving to work. They flock together in a particular way, different to most other birds, and the shapes they make can be really beautiful. Almost hypnotising at times.

1. What is the purpose of the "Mystery Video: What Is It?"

The purpose of the "Mystery Video: What Is It?" is to engage viewers and challenge their critical thinking skills by presenting a puzzling video and asking them to identify what it is.

2. How was the "Mystery Video: What Is It?" created?

The "Mystery Video: What Is It?" was created by a team of scientists and experts who carefully selected and filmed an unidentified object in order to create a thought-provoking and intriguing video.

3. Is the "Mystery Video: What Is It?" based on real scientific concepts?

Yes, the "Mystery Video: What Is It?" is based on real scientific concepts and principles. The object in the video is not manipulated or altered in any way.

4. Can anyone participate in solving the mystery of the "Mystery Video: What Is It?"

Yes, anyone can participate in solving the mystery of the "Mystery Video: What Is It?". The video is designed to be accessible to all ages and backgrounds, and encourages viewers to think critically and creatively.

5. Are there any rewards for correctly identifying the object in the "Mystery Video: What Is It?"

While there are no physical rewards for correctly identifying the object in the "Mystery Video: What Is It?", viewers will gain a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment for solving the mystery. Additionally, they may learn more about the scientific concepts and principles behind the object in the video.