Solving for x: sqrt(x^2-x-10) = 10 + sqrt(x^2-11x)

• Thread starter martinrandau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, to solve the given equation, you need to square both sides, isolate the square root on one side, and then square both sides again to eliminate the square roots. However, this may introduce false solutions, so it's important to check each expression under a square root to ensure they are not negative. The final solution is x = 11.
martinrandau
I have a problem of where to start on this equation.

sqrt(x^2-x-10) = 10 + sqrt(x^2 - 11x)

Solve for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Square both sides, you'll get another square root on the RHS, isolate it on one side and square both sides again. Then you lost all square roots and you'll be able to solve.

Note: by squaring you may introduce new solutions. You'll have to check those, each expression under a root can't be negative, so cancel out false solutions.

Just expanding on what TD said,

[tex] \sqrt {x^2 - x - 10} = 10 + \sqrt {x^2 - 11x} \Rightarrow x^2 - x - 10 = 100 + 20\sqrt {x^2 - 11x} + x^2 - 11x \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex] x - 11 = 2\sqrt {x^2 - 11x} \Rightarrow 3x^2 - 22x - 121 = 0 \Rightarrow x = \frac{{22 \pm \sqrt {22^2 + 1452} }}{6} \Rightarrow x = \left\{ { - \frac{{11}}{3},11} \right\} [/tex]

However, you probably want *[tex] \boxed{x = 11} [/tex]* because [itex] -11 / 3 [/itex] won't work!:biggrin:

Why? Because squaring [itex] x - 11 = 2\sqrt {x^2 - 11x} [/itex] introduces false solutions!:smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the brainstorming process for generating ideas/solutions?

The brainstorming process typically involves gathering a group of individuals to freely share and discuss ideas without judgment. It can also involve individual reflection and idea mapping. The goal is to generate a large quantity of ideas that can later be narrowed down and refined.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve problem-solving skills, including practicing critical thinking and creative thinking techniques, seeking feedback and advice from others, and continuously learning and seeking new perspectives.

3. What are some techniques for evaluating and selecting the best solution?

Some techniques for evaluating and selecting the best solution include creating a pros and cons list, conducting a cost-benefit analysis, seeking input from others, and using data and evidence to support a decision.

4. How can I overcome roadblocks or challenges while trying to come up with ideas/solutions?

To overcome roadblocks or challenges, it can be helpful to step back and approach the problem from a different perspective, try new brainstorming techniques, take breaks to clear your mind, and seek input and collaboration from others.

5. How can I ensure that my ideas/solutions are practical and feasible?

To ensure practicality and feasibility, it can be helpful to conduct research and gather data, consider the limitations and resources available, and seek feedback and input from others. Prototyping and testing can also help determine the viability of an idea or solution.