Any ideas to time trolley crashes to simulate crumple zone

In summary, the conversation discusses a lesson where students will build cardboard shells around trolleys and then crash them to measure the time it takes to stop. The current idea is to film the crashes and use stills to time the crash, but the conversation also explores using equipment such as a digital oscilloscope or smartphone with apps to analyze the crashes. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a computer and webcam with software such as Tracker to track object features and analyze the collisions.
seth100
I am trying to do a lesson where I will ask the students to build cardboard shells around trolleys. The aim is the next lesson to crash them and time how long they take to stop, eg the crumple zone.
All I have thought of so far is filming it and using the stills to try time the crash. If anyone has any other ideas about how to go about this be much appreciated. Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
seth100 said:
I am trying to do a lesson where I will ask the students to build cardboard shells around trolleys. The aim is the next lesson to crash them and time how long they take to stop, eg the crumple zone.
All I have thought of so far is filming it and using the stills to try time the crash. If anyone has any other ideas about how to go about this be much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project for your students! :smile:

What equipment do you have available? Do you maybe have a digital oscilloscope that you could use? If so, you could either hook up an accelerometer to it (attached to the trolley), or have a microphone at the crash plane to record the sounds. You might be able to use a Smartphone to do the sound recording instead, with an oscilloscope-like graph of the sound of the crash. There are probably already Apps for that... :smile:EDIT -- Come to think of it, there are probably already Apps to take your Smartphone video and play it back frame-by-frame with time stamps...

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any of that equipment about, however we do have some camera's and some huddles (like an I pad). I don't have a smart phone and the students are not allowed phones in the class, Does anyone know of any free software I could download that would allow me to film the crashes and play them back frame by frame
thanks

Hook it up to a computer and use a webcam?

https://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/
In addition to viewing frame by frame, object features can tracked manually or automatically and tabulated.
I get students to use this to analyze projectile motion and collisions of pucks on an air table.

1. How do crumple zones work in a trolley crash simulation?

Crumple zones in trolley crashes work by absorbing the impact of the crash through controlled deformation of the front end of the vehicle. This helps to reduce the force of the impact on the passengers and distributes it over a longer period of time.

2. What factors should be considered when timing trolley crashes for a crumple zone simulation?

The timing of a trolley crash simulation for crumple zones should take into account the speed of the trolley, the weight and size of the trolley, and the type and strength of the materials used in the crumple zone.

3. How do you measure the effectiveness of a crumple zone in a trolley crash simulation?

The effectiveness of a crumple zone in a trolley crash simulation can be measured by the amount of force and impact energy absorbed by the crumple zone, as well as the structural integrity of the passenger compartment after the crash.

4. Are there any limitations to using trolley crash simulations to test crumple zones?

Yes, there are limitations to using trolley crash simulations to test crumple zones. These simulations may not accurately reflect all real-world scenarios and variables, and physical crash tests may still be necessary for accurate results.

5. How can the data from trolley crash simulations be used to improve crumple zone designs?

The data collected from trolley crash simulations can be used to analyze the effectiveness of different crumple zone designs and make improvements to enhance their performance in real-life crashes. This data can also be used to inform and guide future research and development in crumple zone technology.