Any one help. Adjugate of 2X2 matrix

• Thread starter Charles007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the adjugate and inverse of a 3x3 matrix. The process involves finding the matrix of cofactors, taking the transpose, finding the determinant, and using the formula A^-1 = 1/det(A) * adj(A). For a 2x2 matrix, the adjugate is found by switching elements 1 and 4 and changing the sign of elements 2 and 3.
Charles007
I know how to find the adjugate of 3x3 matrix. from the defination.

How to find adjugate of 2x2 matrix.

e.g A= ( 1 3 )
______( 2 4 )

adjoint .

I know how to find adjugate and inverse. of 3 * 3 matrix

First . I find matrix of cofactor. from the defination. (n-1)(n-1) matrix * (sign associated with the element's position).

Second, we taking the transpose we get the adj(A)

Then we find the det(A).

Finally, A^-1 = 1/det(A) * adj(A)The inverse of A.

[itex]AA^- = A^-A=I[/itex] and A adj(A) = det(A)I

The inverse of [itex]A = det(A)I/ A^-[/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isn't [tex]\text{adj}\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}d&-b\\-c&a\end{array}\right)[/tex]?

cristo said:
Isn't [tex]\text{adj}\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}d&-b\\-c&a\end{array}\right)[/tex]?

Just remember it? right?

Charles007 said:
Just remember it? right?

yes, that is it for a 2x2 matrix, switch elements 1 and 4; change the sign of elements 2 and 3

rock.freak667 said:
yes, that is it for a 2x2 matrix, switch elements 1 and 4; change the sign of elements 2 and 3

OK. thx. :rofl:

1. What is an adjugate of a 2x2 matrix?

The adjugate of a 2x2 matrix is a matrix that is formed by taking the transpose of the cofactor matrix of the original matrix. It is also known as the adjoint or classical adjoint.

2. How is the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix calculated?

To calculate the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix, first take the transpose of the cofactor matrix, then multiply each element by -1i+j, where i and j are the row and column numbers of the element. This will give you the adjugate matrix.

3. What is the purpose of finding the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix?

The adjugate of a 2x2 matrix is used to find the inverse of the original matrix. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in finding the determinant of the original matrix.

4. Can the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix be calculated for any type of matrix?

No, the adjugate can only be calculated for square matrices, and it is specifically used for 2x2 matrices. For matrices with a dimension larger than 2x2, other methods such as the Gauss-Jordan elimination method are used to find the inverse.

5. Is the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix always equal to its inverse?

Yes, the adjugate of a 2x2 matrix is always equal to its inverse. This property is known as the inverse property of the adjugate, and it only applies to 2x2 matrices.