Any way to simplify this fraction without a calculator?

In summary, a fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole. It is written in the form of a numerator over a denominator. Simplifying a fraction means reducing it to its lowest form, making it easier to work with and compare. To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor of the numerator and denominator and divide both numbers by it. Any fraction can be simplified as long as the numerator and denominator are whole numbers. While it is possible to simplify fractions by hand, using a calculator can make the process faster and easier.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

I was looking at a solution for a practise question and in the last step they simplified

-[(0.02)^4]/[4(0.98)^4]

to

1/(4*49^4)

How do you do this without a calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I am an idiot please ignore/delete this post.

Great. For any others who were wondering, you don't need a calculator to see that .02/.98= 2/98= 1/49.

However the original form is negative and the final result is positive. Did you accidently drop the "-"?

What is a fraction?

A fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole. It is written in the form of a numerator (top number) over a denominator (bottom number).

Why would I want to simplify a fraction?

Simplifying a fraction means reducing it to its lowest form. This makes it easier to work with and compare to other fractions.

What are the steps to simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified fraction.

Can I simplify any fraction?

Yes, any fraction can be simplified as long as the numerator and denominator are both whole numbers.

Is there a way to simplify a fraction without a calculator?

Yes, you can simplify fractions by hand using the steps mentioned above. However, a calculator can make the process faster and easier.