Anyone familiar with Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof

• Thread starter icantadd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, Abel's proof states that if the quintic is soluble, it must be the sum of (possibly nested) algebraic manipulations of the coefficients of the polynomial. He also claimed that one can assume m to be prime in the process.
icantadd
Greetings PF,

I would like to sketch the proof that Abel gave for the insolubility of the quintic. This is a question of general interest to me, and one of those things, that I probably should see once. I am going off a translation of Abel's proof, and I hope to get very general guidance to the nature of the proof, i.e. what Abel was going for. Ultimately, I want to distill the proof into the elementary steps in an intuitive (?ahem?) manner, so that 1) a good sketch of the proof could be given, and 2) from the sketch, some form of the proof could be given that does NOT use full blown Galois theory, or any facts like Sym_5 is insoluble (although this does implicitly come up in the proof since ultimately the contraction that 120 = 10, is ultimately what causes the reductio to unravel.), and meanwhile, fully deconstruct the proof for understanding's sake.

So to start we assume that the quintic is soluble, so that
[tex]y^5 + ay^4 + by^3 + cy^2 + dy + e[/tex] is solvable precisely in terms of radicals alone.

Next we must use a consideration about the general form that any polynomial p(x) soluble by radicals must have. If it is soluble, it must be the sum of (possibly nested) algebraic manipulations (roots, exp, mult,div,plus,sub) of the coefficients of p(x)
[tex] y = c_0 + c_1R^{\frac{1}{m} + \ldots + c_{m-1} [/tex],
where in the above [tex]c_i, R[/tex] are all functions containing (nested algebraic) rational functions of only the coefficients. However, I don't understand the step where Abel claims that one can assume m to be prime. What realization have I missed. I know that ultimately, I am only desiring a deconstruction into a sketch, but I would like to do a full deconstruction in the process.

So far, the steps are
1) Goal is to prove the quintic is in general insolvable by radicals.
2) Assume it is to derive a contradiction
3) Prove that the general form of the solution must be as expressed above.

And for
3a) Assert that y must be definable as a rational function of algebraic expressions of coefficients
3b) Consider the coefficients a,b,c,d,e, and f(a,b,c,d,e) as a rational function of the coeff (as zero order)
3c) consider[tex]f({p_0}^{\frac{1}{m}})[/tex] as a "first order" algebraic function, where p_0 is zero order.
3d) similarly [tex]f({p_m}^{\frac{1}{m}})[/tex] is an m'th order function.
3e) See that factoring m, and writing [tex]R^{\frac{1}{m}}[/tex] as a sequence of successive radicals, we are allowed to assume m is prime (my problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you're having trouble with; did you just forget that
[tex]\sqrt[p]{\sqrt[q]{R}} = \sqrt[pq]{R}[/tex]​
?

Ooh, thank you. So if the function is, say,
[tex] \sqrt[4]{x} [/tex], it can be written as [tex] \sqrt{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]. So assuming m is prime is fine.

1. What is Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof?

Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof is a mathematical theorem proved by Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel in 1824. It states that there is no algebraic solution using radicals for general polynomials of degree five or higher.

2. Why is Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof important?

This proof is important because it provided a definitive answer to the centuries-old problem of solving the general quintic equation using only algebraic operations. It also paved the way for the development of Galois theory and abstract algebra.

3. What does it mean for a polynomial to be insoluble by radicals?

A polynomial is insoluble by radicals if it cannot be solved using a combination of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and nth roots (radicals). This means that there is no formula for finding the roots of the polynomial using only these operations.

4. Are there any exceptions to Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof?

Yes, there are some special cases where the quintic equation can be solved using radicals. For example, if the quintic equation has certain symmetries or special coefficients, it may be solvable. However, for a general quintic equation, Abel's proof holds true.

5. How does Abel's insolubility of the quintic proof relate to other famous mathematical problems?

Abel's proof is closely related to other famous mathematical problems, such as the impossibility of trisecting an angle, doubling the cube, and squaring the circle. These problems all involve finding solutions using only algebraic operations, and Abel's proof showed that it is not possible in general for the quintic equation.