Anyone recognize this equation?

• I
  • Thread starter physea
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation that claims to show the average velocity of a fluid in a pipe in relation to pressure loss and the radii of the pipe. However, the equation is found to be incorrect and the correct equation is derived from the cylindrical Navier-Stokes equations. The conversation also mentions the importance of using clear and unambiguous notation in equations.
physea
I found this equation that supposedly shows the average velocity of a fluid in pipe in respect to the pressure loss, the radius R of the pipe and any smaller radius r.
upload_2018-2-5_9-42-40.png

However I have no idea how they came up with this, is it Darcy equation for laminar flow where f=64/Re?
Can anyone enlighten please?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-5_9-42-40.png
    upload_2018-2-5_9-42-40.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 756
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you don't recognize it is that it is incorrect. The left hand side should be the axial velocity as a function of r, not the average axial velocity. Please cite a reference for this equation.

I don't know what source you are reading, but that equation is wrong. That is local velocity as a function of ##r## in a pipe of radius ##R##. If you want average velocity, you need to integrate that over the cross section and divide by area.

You can derive it from the cylindrical Navier-Stokes equations. I'd actually suggest you do that as a useful exercise.

Last edited:
OK, even if the left hand side is V(r), I still cannot find that equation anywhere.

Hyperphysics gives
upload_2018-2-5_14-46-55.png
which is very different!
Any hint?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-5_14-46-55.png
    upload_2018-2-5_14-46-55.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 754
Well your two equations use different variables. What is ##v_m## expressed in terms of pressure?

Actually ##v(r) = 2v_m \left[ 1-\frac {r^2} {R^2} \right]##. And ##v_m = \frac {R^2ΔP} {8uL}## (which is the average velocity across the pipe section). Put them together. If you want to know how to find those formulas

boneh3ad said:
You can derive it from the cylindrical Navier-Stokes equations. I'd actually suggest you do that as a useful exercise.

Likes Chestermiller
physea said:
OK, even if the left hand side is V(r), I still cannot find that equation anywhere.

Hyperphysics gives View attachment 219748 which is very different!
Any hint?
Get yourself a copy of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Likes dRic2
First of all, ##v_m## is ambiguous notation, and, in fact, both @physea and @dRic2 have correct equations depending on whether ##v_m## is meant to be maximum velocity or mean velocity.

Second, you need further assumptions to replace the gradient with ##\Delta p##.

Third, you don't need a textbook to derive Poiseuille flow.

1. What does this equation represent?

This equation represents a mathematical relationship between different variables or quantities.

2. How do I solve this equation?

The process of solving an equation involves manipulating the given equation to isolate the variable you are looking for. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Can you explain the meaning of each symbol in this equation?

Symbols in equations represent different mathematical operations or quantities. It's important to understand the meaning of each symbol in order to interpret the equation correctly. Some common symbols include + (addition), - (subtraction), * (multiplication), / (division), and = (equals).

4. How can I use this equation in real-life applications?

Equations are used in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics to model and solve real-world problems. For example, this equation may represent a physical relationship between variables in a scientific experiment, or it may be used to calculate values in financial or economic situations.

5. Is this equation a universal law or theory?

Not all equations represent universal laws or theories. Some equations may be specific to a certain field or situation, while others may be more general and apply to multiple scenarios. It's important to understand the context and assumptions of an equation to determine its applicability.