Anyone see the brief flash in Orion last night?

In summary, I saw a star appear and then disappear within a few seconds. It was about the same brightness as the belt stars and moved in a line of sight.
bahamagreen
Naked eye viewing clear sky a little before 3AM Central time I saw a "star" appear a little below and in line with the sword, only lasted about three seconds, no lateral movement, about the same brightness as the belt stars... then was gone. Roughly about 3:55-3:56AM Central.

Line of sight moving meteor? Satellite sun reflection? I've seen those before and this did not really look like either of those...?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Type the information in here and see if it can be identified as an iridium flare:
http://www.heavens-above.com/

No lateral movement doesn't fit but if it is low in the sky when it happens, the movement might be too small to notice in 3 seconds.

bahamagreen said:
Naked eye viewing clear sky a little before 3AM Central time I saw a "star" appear a little below and in line with the sword, only lasted about three seconds, no lateral movement, about the same brightness as the belt stars... then was gone. Roughly about 3:55-3:56AM Central.

Line of sight moving meteor? Satellite sun reflection? I've seen those before and this did not really look like either of those...?
dangit I was checking out Orion for about 3 minutes JUST PRIOR TO THAT... argh! I think around 3:40am CST... I just missed it :\

can you mark where it was on this chart here with like an X marks the spot in white or something? :)

I got a strong idea where you meant but was wondering if you could pin it more exact... if you don't want to that's cool :)

I doubt it was a satellite if it didn't move... unless the momentary apex flare theory... but three seconds and no movement doesn't sound like satellite... LOS meteor sounds a more likely theory although that's also intriguing if it didn't move any arcseconds whatsoever then that is EXTREMELY LOS lol... a bird illuminated by city lights is probably also unlikely... so yeah that is intriguing indeed... did it move in any direction that you can recall sir?

astronauts have alleged that cosmic rays passing through their heads cause pinpoint lights in their field of view but I wonder of what brightness... truly pinpoint or expanded I wonder... maybe an LOS cosmic ray hitting you in the retina? haha only partially kidding :)

Bz1yJEi.png

Occams razor principle leads me to believe that it was like 4 or 5 similar observations I've made: "tumbling space junk".

It was about half way between Iota Orionis and Saiph (between the tip of the sword and the hunter's right knee).

Your picture shows a very faint dot on the inner edge of the red/black transition there,...

What was the brief flash seen in Orion last night?

The brief flash seen in Orion last night was most likely a meteor or shooting star passing through Earth's atmosphere. Meteors are small pieces of debris from space that burn up as they enter the Earth's atmosphere, causing a brief flash of light.

What causes these brief flashes in the sky?

As mentioned previously, these brief flashes are most likely caused by meteors or shooting stars passing through Earth's atmosphere. Other possible explanations could include satellite flares or even lightning, although these are less common in the night sky.

When is the best time to see these brief flashes?

The best time to see these brief flashes in the sky is during a meteor shower. Meteor showers occur when Earth passes through the debris left behind by a comet or asteroid. The most well-known meteor shower is the Perseids, which occurs every August.

How can I increase my chances of seeing a brief flash in the sky?

To increase your chances of seeing a brief flash in the sky, it is recommended to go to a dark and clear location away from city lights. It is also helpful to be patient and give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. Additionally, checking the dates for upcoming meteor showers can also increase your chances of seeing a brief flash.

Is there any scientific significance to these brief flashes in the sky?

While these brief flashes in the sky may be a breathtaking sight, they do not hold much scientific significance. However, studying these events can help scientists better understand the composition and movement of objects in our solar system. Additionally, studying meteor showers can also provide valuable information about the history and formation of our planet.