Anyone want to take a crack at my decyphering my prof's handwriting?

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crack
In summary, this conversation is about a professor's bad handwriting, and how it differs from other people's. The professor is from Canada, and her last name is Ionita. The professor is teaching a class to a Canadian student who has a light accent and is from Poland. The handwriting is flowery and not typical for Americans or Poles, and seems to be a characteristic of women.
ainster31
Anyone want to take a crack at deciphering my prof's handwriting?

http://i.imgur.com/8rDPmxK.jpg

There is a question mark and closing bracket at the end that was cut off FYI.

Sorry for the large image. Not sure how to make it smaller.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mainly two words I need help with: I don't ? see an argument here; you need to think in terms of a specific point you're planning to make - for ex., how is the visual appeal affect our understanding of the novel (i.e., how is it different from a library ?)

"I don't quite see an argument here; you need to think in terms of a specific point you are planning to make--
for ex. how is (??)

the last word is "presentation", I think.

I don't quite see an argument here. You need to think in terms of a specific point you are trying to make -- for example, how is [sic] the visual aspect affect our understanding of the novel (i.e., how is it different from a library presentation?)

And not a "literary presentation"?

I think Borek is right

I don't quite see an argument here; you need to
think in terms of a specific point you're planning to make -
for ex., how is the visual aspect affect our understanding of
the novel (i.e., how is it different from a literary presentation?).

He uses unusual ways to write specific letters (for instance the 't'), but he is consistent.
His interpunction is flawless.
It appears he has made his handwriting artful seeing all the flourishes in it.

Still, I can see how it might be difficult to read. :)

Edit: ah, I see I am already a bit late in responding.

That's pretty bad handwriting, is this a male or female? What country were they raised in? I'm wondering if they were taught to write in English in an American school, for example, or learned to write in English on their own, so had no formal training in English handwriting.

I seem to have figured out what they were saying (based on other interpretations here, except I thought the end was "Disney presentation".

Likes 1 person
It's mostly the 't' that threw me off.
Once I recognized that a 't' was intended I could read most of it.
I wonder where they write it like that.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's pretty bad handwriting

You haven't seen nothing yet.

Look at the last "p" in 'presentation. WTH? And look at the "q" in "quite" and the "g" in "argument", they're almost identical, the "q" seems to have been written backwards.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
You haven't seen nothing yet.
Lol, is this a warning of your handwriting? :tongue:

Drs must be trained to write poorly in med school, my pharmacist sometimes has to call the doctor to confirm what they've prescribed. Something as serious as a prescription for medication is not the time to demonstrate how poorly you can write, I've read of lawsuits where the pharmacist tried guessing at the dosage and guessed wrong. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the wrong prescription, (right medication, wrong form) the pharmacist said that they weren't sure what it said, I got a dental paste instead of a topical ointment for skin. He was so upset, even though it was the same medicine and same strength, one was a gel instead of a cream, that he drove out to my house to exchange the meds.

Likes 1 person
She's a Canadian professor here in the GTA. She's an immigrant and has a light accent. I think she's from Poland. Her last name is Ionita. She's teaching my English class.

ainster31 said:
I think she's from Poland. Her last name is Ionita.

Nothing Polish neither about handwriting nor about the name.

Ionita is a Romanian surname, like in Alexandru Ionita.

Actually Romanian was my first thought, but I was too lazy to google to check.

ainster31 said:
She's a Canadian professor here in the GTA. She's an immigrant and has a light accent. I think she's from Poland. Her last name is Ionita. She's teaching my English class.
That confirms my guess. Needlessly flowery writing seems to be more common among women and it seems that this person didn't have the basic writing style pounded into most native English speakers (at least Americans).

Last edited:
Evo said:
this person didn't have the basic writing style pounded into

I was always fascinated by the fact all Americans write in a very similar way. I couldn't decide if it means they lack creativity, or if they have obligatory calligraphy lessons.

Makes me think about Germans. I have some postcards sent by Germans in the first half of the last century, and their writing is boringly identical. Ordnung muss sein!

This is not something possible here. In Poland everyone writes in his own way, and we can't read even our own notes.

I write in all block caps thanks to having to do lettering for engineering graphics.

I don't think this kitty would write with a basic writing style.
If she can get past her writing block, I expect loopy script.
Oh wait! She's not a person. You got me there.

writer-kitty-experiences-difficulti.jpg

Perhaps kitty will do better when typing.

lol-cat-kitteh-plot.jpg

I ran it through an optical character recognition site and it thinks this is the correct English translation :smile:

, J3.»-.4 e~.|_~.aa_A(b
(‘)&b-J$L_
/1»~~»»~-‘@-~=<(~»»qr*“f~‘1f °“‘“‘<Y£°""ZS’ _
%w9@fi~W~»%§M~W1
nL”$Q(c_&_)4;W@9.@.%,Q{;@~.Q1£A~36,ws@./

And no there hasn't been an error, that's genuinely what the software thinks it says :tongue:

Adorable ILS!

Ryan_m_b said:
I ran it through an optical character recognition site and it thinks this is the correct English translation :smile:

And no there hasn't been an error, that's genuinely what the software thinks it says :tongue:
Hmm..I think an exclamation mark went missing there??

Borek said:
I was always fascinated by the fact all Americans write in a very similar way. I couldn't decide if it means they lack creativity, or if they have obligatory calligraphy lessons.

Makes me think about Germans. I have some postcards sent by Germans in the first half of the last century, and their writing is boringly identical. Ordnung muss sein!

This is not something possible here. In Poland everyone writes in his own way, and we can't read even our own notes.
As an American, you grow up assuming everyone does things the way we do. Interesting information Borek, I always assumed all children were drilled for years on handwriting. It was the only subject I never did well in, I refused to hold my pencil the way we were taught because it felt awkward. My teachers were always grabbing my pencil out of my hand and making me hold it right, then as soon as they walked away I held it my way.

Well, I am slightly exaggerating (but I suppose you know me long enough to know I can't be trusted). Initially we are taught to write in exactly the same way, like here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=64034&stc=1&d=1384719263.jpg

But it is enforced only for the first three years, and later our handwriting starts to differ greatly.

Attachments

• Gg.jpg
    Gg.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 475
I have a Polish professor with a strong accent and a Chinese professor with a strong accent, a recent immigrant, and both of them write 10 times better than your professor.

No excuse for that, in my opinion.

to me, the writing seems very clear, and immediately readable :smile:

(except for the "p" in "presentation", which is lazy and looks nothing like her other "p"s)

tiny-tim said:
to me, the writing seems very clear, and immediately readable :smile:

(except for the "p" in "presentation", which is lazy and looks nothing like her other "p"s)

Don't forget the 'p' in "aspect", which was the word that took me the longest time, especially appearing with a grammatical mistake.

Evo said:
That confirms my guess. Needlessly flowery writing seems to be more common among women and it seems that this person didn't have the basic writing style pounded into most native English speakers (at least Americans).

I proudly made it through elementary school (primary school) and I never could get that "penmanship" thing down. My hand writing looks like a 2nd grader, and that's not a joke! Whenever I need to sign something, I just kinda do scribbles because I can't even remember how to "properly" do cursive... @_@

So far, so good though.

Hi I like Serena! :smile:
I like Serena said:
Don't forget the 'p' in "aspect"

i thought the "p" there was clear, it was the "a" that confused me for a short time, though i don't think even that would have mattered without …
… which was the word that took me the longest time, especially appearing with a grammatical mistake.

… the "is" instead of "does" :wink:

(so that's a mistake of grammar rather than of handwriting)

ainster31 said:

Clearly, your prof is an elf! Awesome.

220px-Tengwar_sample.svg.png

ainster31 said:

This is my decipherment:

"I don't quite see an argument here; you need to think in terms of a specific point you're planning to make -- for ex.[ample], how is the visual (aspect?) affect (sic) our understanding of the novel (i.e. how is it different from a literary presentation?)"

There is one grammatical slip up; the instructor used 'is' instead of 'does' when she asks the student a question ('how is' rather than 'how does').

I once went to school with a guy who was Hungarian. IDK if he spent any time in Hungary (his parents were refugees, I think), but he made his K's in a very unusual manner (at least to what I had been taught): he would draw a vertical line from the top down, and then when he reached the line, he would make a 45-deg. upward stroke, after which he would draw the 45-deg. downward stroke to prop up the first part. But, handwriting is taught by different methods and different teachers.

A google images search for "romanian handwriting" found this. Some of the letter shapes (e.g. q and t) look familiar...

AlexBotezatu--2010.jpg

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
A google images search for "romanian handwriting" found this. Some of the letter shapes (e.g. q and t) look familiar...

AlexBotezatu--2010.jpg
Hmm, it does look like she's using a flowery form of the Romanian alphabet to write English words. And she's being paid to teach English?