Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone want to take a crack at my decyphering my prof's handwriting?

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    Anyone want to take a crack at deciphering my prof's handwriting?

http://i.imgur.com/8rDPmxK.jpg

There is a question mark and closing bracket at the end that was cut off FYI.

Sorry for the large image. Not sure how to make it smaller.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2
    Mainly two words I need help with: I don't ??? see an argument here; you need to think in terms of a specific point you're planning to make - for ex., how is the visual appeal affect our understanding of the novel (i.e., how is it different from a library ???)

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"I don't quite see an argument here; you need to think in terms of a specific point you are planning to make--
    for ex. how is (??)

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

the last word is "presentation", I think.

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't quite see an argument here. You need to think in terms of a specific point you are trying to make -- for example, how is [sic] the visual aspect affect our understanding of the novel (i.e., how is it different from a library presentation?)

7. Nov 17, 2013 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And not a "literary presentation"?

8. Nov 17, 2013 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think Borek is right

9. Nov 17, 2013 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

He uses unusual ways to write specific letters (for instance the 't'), but he is consistent.
    His interpunction is flawless.
    It appears he has made his handwriting artful seeing all the flourishes in it.

Still, I can see how it might be difficult to read. :)

Edit: ah, I see I am already a bit late in responding.

10. Nov 17, 2013 #9

Evo

That's pretty bad handwriting, is this a male or female? What country were they raised in? I'm wondering if they were taught to write in English in an American school, for example, or learned to write in English on their own, so had no formal training in English handwriting.

I seem to have figured out what they were saying (based on other interpretations here, except I thought the end was "Disney presentation".

11. Nov 17, 2013 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

It's mostly the 't' that threw me off.
    Once I recognized that a 't' was intended I could read most of it.
    I wonder where they write it like that.

12. Nov 17, 2013 #11

Borek

You haven't seen nothing yet.

13. Nov 17, 2013 #12

Evo

Look at the last "p" in 'presentation. WTH? And look at the "q" in "quite" and the "g" in "argument", they're almost identical, the "q" seems to have been written backwards.

14. Nov 17, 2013 #13

Evo

Lol, is this a warning of your handwriting? :tongue:

Drs must be trained to write poorly in med school, my pharmacist sometimes has to call the doctor to confirm what they've prescribed. Something as serious as a prescription for medication is not the time to demonstrate how poorly you can write, I've read of lawsuits where the pharmacist tried guessing at the dosage and guessed wrong. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the wrong prescription, (right medication, wrong form) the pharmacist said that they weren't sure what it said, I got a dental paste instead of a topical ointment for skin. He was so upset, even though it was the same medicine and same strength, one was a gel instead of a cream, that he drove out to my house to exchange the meds.

15. Nov 17, 2013 #14
    She's a Canadian professor here in the GTA. She's an immigrant and has a light accent. I think she's from Poland. Her last name is Ionita. She's teaching my English class.

16. Nov 17, 2013 #15

Borek

Nothing Polish neither about handwriting nor about the name.

17. Nov 17, 2013 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ionita is a Romanian surname, like in Alexandru Ionita.

18. Nov 17, 2013 #17

Borek

Actually Romanian was my first thought, but I was too lazy to google to check.

19. Nov 17, 2013 #18

Evo

That confirms my guess. Needlessly flowery writing seems to be more common among women and it seems that this person didn't have the basic writing style pounded into most native English speakers (at least Americans).

20. Nov 17, 2013 #19

Borek

I was always fascinated by the fact all Americans write in a very similar way. I couldn't decide if it means they lack creativity, or if they have obligatory calligraphy lessons.

Makes me think about Germans. I have some postcards sent by Germans in the first half of the last century, and their writing is boringly identical. Ordnung muss sein!

This is not something possible here. In Poland everyone writes in his own way, and we can't read even our own notes.

21. Nov 17, 2013 #20

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I write in all block caps thanks to having to do lettering for engineering graphics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook