Anyone want to take a look at this?

• Thread starter bullroar_86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a nonuniform bar suspended by two cords at different angles. The task is to find the distance from the left end of the bar to its center of mass. The answer given by the source is 2.93, but after plugging in the values, the participants of the conversation are getting 2.19. They question the accuracy of the answer and suggest that either the equation or the answer may be incorrect. Despite going through the algebra step by step, they cannot seem to arrive at the given answer. The conversation ends with the hope that the final answer was simply a mistake on the part of the source.
bullroar_86
I have a similar question to this, and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I think the answer here might be wrong.

It won't copy/paste right so here's the link

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~gan/teaching/spring99/C13.pdf

A nonuniform bar of weight W is suspended
at rest in a horizontal position by two massless
cords. One cord makes the angle q = 36.9° with
the vertical; the other makes the angle f = 53.1°
with the vertical. If the length L of the bar is 6.10
m, compute the distance x from the left-hand end
of the bar to its center of mass.

When i plug in the values, I'm getting 2.19

the answer there is 2.93

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, go ahead.

was that a sarcastic right? or a "it's right" right?

=P

The algebra seems to make sense, but I'm just not getting the same answer as them

I'm getting 2.19 as well by plugging in the numbers to the last equation given in the explanation. It's definitely possible that either the equation is written incorrectly or perhaps the answer given is simply wrong.

Eturnalblonde said:
I'm getting 2.19 as well by plugging in the numbers to the last equation given in the explanation. It's definitely possible that either the equation is written incorrectly or perhaps the answer given is simply wrong.

Yeah I am hoping the final answer was just a miscalculation on their part.

I've gone through the anwer step by step, and all the algebra looks good to me.

I generally supplement sarcasm with smileys. If it is a plain sentence then there is no sarcasm. Their equations are correct but your answer is right. (no smileys as you may find)

What does "Anyone want to take a look at this?" mean?

"Anyone want to take a look at this?" is a common phrase used to invite others to examine or review something. It can also be used to ask for feedback or opinions on a certain topic or issue.

Why do people ask "Anyone want to take a look at this?"

People might ask this question because they value the opinions and insights of others, or because they want to get a fresh perspective on a particular matter. It can also be a way to engage others in a conversation or to seek help with a problem.

How do you respond to "Anyone want to take a look at this?"

The best way to respond to this question is by expressing your interest in taking a look at whatever is being offered or discussed. You can also ask for more details or clarification to better understand the topic at hand.

Is it appropriate to ask "Anyone want to take a look at this?" in a professional setting?

It depends on the context and the relationship between the individuals involved. In a formal or hierarchical setting, it may be more appropriate to phrase the question as a request for feedback or input, rather than a casual invitation. However, in a collaborative or informal environment, this phrase can be a simple and effective way to engage others in a discussion.

What are some alternatives to "Anyone want to take a look at this?"

Other ways to invite others to review or discuss something could include phrases like "Can I get your thoughts on this?", "Could you take a look at this?", or "I would love to hear your perspective on this." It's also important to consider the tone and context in which these phrases are used to ensure effective communication.