AP Biology or AP Chemistry this fall: Which class should I choose?

In summary, the individual has completed Honor Biology and is currently taking Chemistry in summer school. They can only take one science class in the fall and are deciding between AP Biology and AP Chemistry. The person suggests taking AP Chemistry as it is beneficial for understanding biology and may be necessary for future advanced biology courses. They also mention that they personally prefer chemistry over biology.
jamin123
Completed Honor Biology in June and doing Chemistry in summer school. Can do only one science class in the fall. AP Biology or AP Chemistry this fall, which one? Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you have seen the topic outlines of what each course (or atleast the AP test) covers?
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/biology/topic.html?biology".
Does one seem to appeal to your interests over the other?

If you have future plans on perusing more advanced biology classes [or any real science for that matter] (for example, university level), the AP chemistry would be good to have I know, but I have no idea about biology past 9th grade.

In my own personal opinion, it is a choice of the lesser of two evils, biology or chemistry. I would lean towards chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Having experience in both courses, I would definitely suggest AP Chemistry over AP Biology.

2) Though, mrjeffy321, why is chemistry "the lesser of two evils" ? Moreover, how are chemistry and biology "evils" ?

Last edited:
my would suggest the chem also. As my chem prof would alway say that chem is the tool for understanding biology so it best to learn chem since after that you will have a better grasp of biology.

1. What is the difference between AP Biology and AP Chemistry?

AP Biology focuses on the study of living organisms and their processes, while AP Chemistry focuses on the study of matter and its interactions. AP Biology covers topics such as genetics, cell biology, and ecology, while AP Chemistry covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, and thermodynamics.

2. How do I prepare for the AP Biology or AP Chemistry exam?

To prepare for the AP Biology or AP Chemistry exam, it is important to review all of the material covered in the course, including lectures, labs, and readings. Practice tests and quizzes can also help identify areas for improvement. It is also helpful to review past AP exams and their scoring guidelines.

3. What are the benefits of taking AP Biology or AP Chemistry?

Taking AP Biology or AP Chemistry can provide students with a deeper understanding of the subject, as well as prepare them for college-level coursework. Additionally, earning a high score on the AP exam can potentially earn students college credit and save them time and money in the long run.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking AP Biology or AP Chemistry?

The prerequisites for taking AP Biology or AP Chemistry vary by school, but typically students should have a strong foundation in biology and chemistry, respectively. It is recommended that students have taken introductory courses in these subjects before enrolling in the AP courses.

5. What types of careers can I pursue with a background in AP Biology or AP Chemistry?

A background in AP Biology can lead to careers in fields such as medicine, research, environmental science, and biotechnology. A background in AP Chemistry can lead to careers in fields such as pharmaceuticals, chemical engineering, forensic science, and environmental science. Both courses can also provide a strong foundation for further study in science-related fields in college.