AP Exam Help Oscillations/Hooke's law

In summary: Can someone please help me with this equation?Part (B) I got as far as finding the KEmax. I equaled it to 3pi and plugged in data from the given graphs above (B), : v=1.5m/s and m=.125 and I... got this incorrect answer. Can someone please help me with this equation?I don't think so; sorry.
supahhclayron

Homework Statement

[/B]
The exam example is in these links ; front page and back page

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/hphotos-xpt1/v/t59.2708-21/11169323_874534665921021_720435467_n.pdf/front-page.pdf?oh=f0356d9fdc9617310cae5c7a6e8b4a60&oe=554068FD&dl=1

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/hphotos-xtf1/v/t59.2708-21/11152001_874534672587687_1188381467_n.pdf/back-page.pdf?oh=ec01588cc004f584328f0c3769f779d0&oe=5540AA5A&dl=1

Data is mostly from graphs so I had to put it in a pdf. Other given data : m=0.125kg

Variables : m(mass), v(velocity), j(energy), t(time), a(acceleration)

Homework Equations

F=kx
PE=mgh
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

My work and solutions are all in these links, it's hard to type it out and stuff due to graphs
[/B]
http://imgur.com/Q1MKKuB
http://imgur.com/WpjOnU9
http://imgur.com/j2PwDAo
http://imgur.com/7XtxiZl
http://imgur.com/wJ7gtVy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello SHC, welcome to PF :smile: !

You posted on a homework forum. If you have any questions, please state them.
This looks more like an exam; I suppose you handed it in and someone is going to try and sort it out, then grade it. So that's being done anyway.

it's hard to type it out and stuff due to graphs
Yeah, it's also hard to read and sort it out...

PS we also have some guidelines on PF, you seem to be aware of some of them already.

But still: any questions, you're welcome !

BvU said:
Hello SHC, welcome to PF :smile: !

You posted on a homework forum. If you have any questions, please state them.
This looks more like an exam; I suppose you handed it in and someone is going to try and sort it out, then grade it. So that's being done anyway.

it's hard to type it out and stuff due to graphs
Yeah, it's also hard to read and sort it out...

PS we also have some guidelines on PF, you seem to be aware of some of them already.

But still: any questions, you're welcome !
I am sorry about the picture rule, but yeah, could someone help check my work and correct any errors?

PS I have changed some stuff,
Part (A) changed minimum to 1.08 and maximum to 1.225 and the wave is from the middle line to the top line

Part (B) changed acceleration to 3pi, so maximum is 3pi and minimum is -3pi. Got this using derivatives and my teacher wants me to do it the basic "conceptual physics" way using algebra, but I am not sure how

( THIS IS THE BACK PAGE PART ) a.The student could use some known masses, a ruler, and a stand. Hang the rubber band on the stand and measure its length. Then hang the various masses and measure the amounts they stretch the rubber band (which is the displacement from equilibrium). Since and , the student can graph the force (which is the weight of the mass) vs. the displacement from equilibrium. If it is a linear relationship, then the rubber band behaves like and ideal spring.
b. The student would need the unknown mass, the rubber band, a stand, and a timer. The student should attach the rubber band to the stand and the mass to the rubber band. Then pull the mass down to set it into SHM and time 10 cycles. Divide that time by 10 to calculate the period. Now the student can use the equation to find the unknown mass.

Sure; which of the seven links should I follow ? Is there a particular place where you have such problems that you are even prepared to sort and type them out ?

Link 1 (/Q1..) is only a half page, so is link 5 (/wJ..)

supahhclayron said:
( THIS IS THE BACK PAGE PART ) a.The student could use some known masses, a ruler, and a stand. Hang the rubber band on the stand and measure its length. Then hang the various masses and measure the amounts they stretch the rubber band (which is the displacement from equilibrium). Since and , the student can graph the force (which is the weight of the mass) vs. the displacement from equilibrium. If it is a linear relationship, then the rubber band behaves like and ideal spring.
b. The student would need the unknown mass, the rubber band, a stand, and a timer. The student should attach the rubber band to the stand and the mass to the rubber band. Then pull the mass down to set it into SHM and time 10 cycles. Divide that time by 10 to calculate the period. Now the student can use the equation to find the unknown mass.
Is that the back page part of the back page ? Because I didn't see that before. Or did I miss a link ?

BvU said:
Sure; which of the seven links should I follow ? Is there a particular place where you have such probl;ems that you are even prepared to sort and type them out ?

Link 1 (/Q1..) is only a half page, so is link 5 (/wJ..)

Hi, it's the first link and it should lead you to the graph.

Part (A) I got as far as finding the KEmax. I equaled it to 1/2mv^2 and plugged in data from the given graphs above (A), : v=1.5m/s and m=.125 and I ended up with a KE of .14. It then asked to sketch a graph of "the potential energy of the object-spring-Earth system as a function of time" I am not sure if I did it right, but my graph is shown in the imgur links.

Part (B) I used derivatives to find the acceleration of 3pi, but I believe my teacher wants us to use the conceptual algebraic way of Physics. Not sure how to do that though.

As of the back page, the question and answer is written above, I just need double checking.

Thank you! It's due at 1PM

BvU said:
Is that the back page part of the back page ? Because I didn't see that before. Or did I miss a link ?
Yes. The question is just reworded, I am sorry about the misunderstanding.

I see
upload_2015-4-27_20-24-23.png

BvU said:

For part B, I changed the acceleration to 3pi, it's not 6 anymore. I found 3pi using derivatives which the answer should be a little less than 10 according to my teacher, which calculus offered me 3pi. However, my teacher wants me to do it using the algebraic way and I am not sure how, using concepts of physics too.

@haruspex : what do you think of this thread ? Supa's first posting is rather messy and I tried to nudge towards posing a workable problem statement and an orderly solution. To the tune of: if we want to help you, we need some cooperation from you, too. But it looks as if I bent over backwards too much, because he/she is just going on. Poster is smart enough, I should think, but chaotic and not very empathic with potential helpers. Just my impression, would gladly trade it for a better one.

(bedtime for me -- I'm in western europe)

supahhclayron said:
For part B, I changed the acceleration to 3pi, it's not 6 anymore. I found 3pi using derivatives which the answer should be a little less than 10 according to my teacher, which calculus offered me 3pi. However, my teacher wants me to do it using the algebraic way and I am not sure how, using concepts of physics too.
Here's one way.
Forget the given problem for a moment. Write a generic SHM equation for position as a function of time, putting in symbols for the amplitude and frequency parameters. The max value of the position is the amplitude. Differentiate it to get the velocity as a function of time. What is the maximum value of this? Differentiate again to get acceleration, and again extract an algebraic expression for the max value.
Compare the three algebraic formulae you have for the three maxima. What relationship do you notice?

Likes supahhclayron and BvU

What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to oscillations?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is proportional to that distance. This means that the amount a spring is stretched or compressed is directly related to the force acting on it. In the context of oscillations, this principle explains how the restoring force of a spring causes an object attached to it to oscillate back and forth.

How do you calculate the frequency of an oscillation?

The frequency of an oscillation can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles or oscillations by the time it takes to complete those cycles. Mathematically, it can be represented as: f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the time period of one cycle.

What is the equation for the period of an oscillation?

The period of an oscillation can be calculated using the formula: T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation is derived from Hooke's law and the principles of simple harmonic motion.

How does amplitude affect the motion of an oscillating object?

The amplitude of an oscillation is the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. It directly affects the energy of the system, with higher amplitudes having more energy. This also means that larger amplitudes result in larger forces and accelerations, causing the object to move faster and oscillate with a higher frequency.

What factors can affect the period of an oscillation?

The period of an oscillation can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also influence the period of an oscillation. Changes in these factors can alter the frequency and period of the oscillation, making it important to consider them in experiments and calculations.