AP French Relativity chapter 3 problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the relativistic Doppler shift in finding an answer to a problem, but one participant suggests that it may not be applicable due to the dependence of the speed of light on the motion of the source. The conversation then provides two questions to consider, including the function for expressing velocity and the time at which light was emitted from the star based on certain assumptions.
ka_reem13
Homework Statement
the question is contained in my attempt at a solution as I can't add images anywhere else
Relevant Equations
I assume we will have to use the relativistic doppler shift in order to find our answer, but that's all I can really gather from how to attempt this
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 06.56.49.png

Physics news on Phys.org
ka_reem13 said:
Relevant Equations:: I assume we will have to use the relativistic doppler shift in order to find our answer, but that's all I can really gather from how to attempt this
I think French wants you to assume that the speed of light depends on the motion of the source. In which case, you cannot use the relativistic Doppler shift, but have to calculate the shift for yourself.

ka_reem13 said:
Relevant Equations:: I assume we will have to use the relativistic doppler shift in order to find our answer, but that's all I can really gather from how to attempt this

This problem does not require any results from relativity. The star's speed is much less than the speed of light. Consider the following:

(1) What is the function ##v_r(t)## that expresses ##v_r## as a function of time ##t## and the orbital period ##T##? For convenience, choose ##t = 0## when the star is farthest from the earth.

(2) Suppose someone on earth at an arbitrary time ##t## observes light from the star. At what earlier time ##t_0## was this light emitted from the star under the assumption that the light travels from the star to earth at speed ##c+v_r(t_0)##? Express ##t_0## in terms of ##t##, ##R##, ##c##, and ##v_r(t_0)##.

1. What is the concept of relativity in AP French?

The concept of relativity in AP French refers to the idea that the perception of time and space can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This concept was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

2. What is the significance of chapter 3 in AP French Relativity?

Chapter 3 in AP French Relativity focuses on the application of the theory of relativity to the study of light and its properties. It delves into the concept of time dilation and length contraction, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of light in different frames of reference.

3. What is the main problem discussed in chapter 3 of AP French Relativity?

The main problem discussed in chapter 3 of AP French Relativity is the paradox of the twin brothers. This thought experiment explores the concept of time dilation, where one twin travels at high speeds while the other stays on Earth, resulting in a significant difference in their ages when they reunite.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe in AP French?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe in AP French. It has revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and has been crucial in the development of modern physics and cosmology.

5. What are some real-life applications of the theory of relativity in AP French?

The theory of relativity has several real-life applications in AP French, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and the study of black holes. It has also been used to make accurate predictions and calculations in space exploration and satellite communication.