Apostol's Calculus I-III: Is It Worth the Price?

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the quality and price of Apostol's Calculus I-III books, with one person recommending them for their rigor and another mentioning their high cost. They also suggest alternative books, such as Spivak's, Courant and John's, and Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards', which may be available for a lower price.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I've read here and on other sites that Apostol's Calculus I-III books are remarkable. Is this the general concensus? I want an extremely rigorous math book. I've been using Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards which is good, but not detailed enough for me. Apostol's books are extremely expensive. Where's the best place to buy books like this?

Thanks for your advice.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
if you want rigor, try spivak

Apostol is very difficult. More like an analysis text than you're standard calculus text.

apostol books are superb. here is vol one for you for $30.

Calculus. Volume 1: Introduction, with Vectors and Analytic Geometry
Apostol, Tom M. Bookseller: Zubal Books
(Cleveland, OH, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 30.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 6.50
[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: NY: Blaisdell Publishing Company 1962, 1962. FIRST EDITION, 3rd printing, 515 pp., hardback, covers lightly worn, ex library, else text and binding clean, tight and bright. Bookseller Inventory # ZB475731

and they have a copy of courant and john for even less:

Introduction to Calculus and Analysis. Volume One (ISBN: 0470178604)
Courant, Richard, & Fritz John Bookseller: Zubal Books
(Cleveland, OH, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 24.44
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 6.50
[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: NY: Interscience 1965, 1965. Volume 1; 661 pp., hardback, previous owner's name to front free endpaper else v.g. in good dustjacket. Bookseller Inventory # ZB472130

Last edited:

1. Is Apostol's Calculus I-III a good textbook for learning calculus?

Yes, Apostol's Calculus I-III is widely considered to be one of the best textbooks for learning calculus. It is well-written, comprehensive, and includes challenging problems for students to practice.

2. Is Apostol's Calculus I-III worth the price?

The price of Apostol's Calculus I-III may be higher than other calculus textbooks, but many students and teachers believe that the quality and depth of the material make it well worth the price.

3. How does Apostol's Calculus I-III compare to other calculus textbooks?

Apostol's Calculus I-III is often compared to other popular calculus textbooks such as Thomas' Calculus or Stewart's Calculus. Many students and teachers prefer Apostol's approach as it focuses on developing a deep understanding of the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. Is Apostol's Calculus I-III suitable for self-study?

Apostol's Calculus I-III can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and precalculus before attempting to use this textbook. It is also helpful to have a study group or tutor to discuss difficult concepts and work through problems with.

5. How can I get the most out of using Apostol's Calculus I-III?

To get the most out of using Apostol's Calculus I-III, it is important to actively engage with the material. This includes reading the text, working through examples and problems, and seeking help when needed. It is also beneficial to review and practice regularly to reinforce the concepts learned.