Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22

• Thread starter julypraise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the problem states that given x>0 and a sequence of integers a_n, where a_0 = [x], a_n is defined as the largest integer such that the decimal representation of a_0.a_1...a_n is less than or equal to x. The task is to prove that the supremum of the set of all r_n's, where r_n = a_0.a_1...a_n, is equal to x. The proposed proof uses a contradiction argument and the assumption of the existence of an upper bound p for the set of r_n's. However, another approach can be taken by proving certain properties of a_n and r_n, and then using the given definition of a_n to
julypraise

Homework Statement

Given x>0, suppose a_0 = [x], the largest integer less than or equal to x. Assuming a_0, a_1, . . . , a_n-1 are defined, define a_n as the largest integer such that a_0.a_1...a_n less than or equal to x. Now define r_n = a_0.a_1...a_n, r_0 = a_0. Prove that the sup of the set of all the r_n's is x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did proof by contradiction but does not work. I've got stuck. Just give me a useful hint, don need full solution. I've analyzed all the meanings carefully, but seems I need a trick to solve this, or maybe not. I even tried to use the notion of limit: I thought about |r_n - x|. It goes 0. But this fact it is even harder to prove.

Okay, while I'm writing this thread, I've got an idea. Please have a look:
Suppose there exists an upper bound p of the set such that p is less than x. Then, since |p-x|>0, for some n, 1/(10^n) < |p-x|. Thus p + 1/10^n < x. Note that a_0.a_1...a_n <= p. Thus a_0.a_1...(a_n + 1) < x; but this is a contradiction.

I've used a huge assumption that "for some n, 1/(10^n) < |p-x|." But I didn't learn this yet in this book. Is there any other way not using it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you haven't copied the problem correctly.
The book I'm looking at also gives a fixed integer [itex]k\geq2,[/itex] and [itex]a_n[/itex] is defined to be the largest integer s.t. [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n{\frac{a_i}{k^i}} \leq x.[/itex] You should be able to prove that [itex]\sup\{r_n:n\geq 0\}=x[/itex] by first proving that [itex]0\leq a_i \leq k-1, \forall i\geq 1[/itex] and that [itex]r_n\leq r_{n+1},\ \forall n.[/itex] After these I think you can use the idea you got to finish the proof, but don't give [itex]k[/itex] any particular value.

1. What is Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22?

Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22 is a mathematical problem presented in the textbook "Mathematical Analysis" by Tom M. Apostol. It is a problem that involves finding the limit of a sequence and is commonly used in introductory courses on real analysis.

2. What is the purpose of Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22?

The purpose of Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22 is to practice and demonstrate understanding of the concept of limit in mathematical analysis. It is also used to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving techniques.

3. How do you solve Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22?

To solve Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22, you must first carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or the squeeze theorem to find the limit of the given sequence. It is important to show all steps and justify your solution.

4. Why is Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22 important?

Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22 is important because it is a fundamental problem in real analysis and is often used in other mathematical concepts such as continuity and differentiability. It also helps to develop analytical skills and logical reasoning, which are essential in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any resources available to help with Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available that provide step-by-step solutions and explanations for Apostol's Analysis Problem 1.22. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor for further clarification and understanding of the problem.