1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Derivatives

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two sides of a triangle have lengths a and b, and the angle between them is theta. What value of theta will maximize the triangle's area? (Hint: A=1/2absin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a triangle drawn, with the base being a, and the height being b. From the equation given, does the value of b actually equal theta times the angle?
    I'm trying to relate the two angles so i can solve for one variable, but not sure where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Ok, well it seems like you are trying to say one leg of the triangle is the height. But look at the hint. A=1/2 b*h if you anchor one leg on an axis, then let the other leg move
    You have a base b, and the h=asin(theta) Anyway, if you take dA/dtheta that's how the area changes as theta changes. So basically just take the derivative of that area function with respect to theta. When that function equals 0, you have a maximum area.

I tried it out, and you end up with 1/2(absin(theta)) a and b are constant so dA/dtheta = 1/2(abcos(theta) Set that equal to 0. divide out the constants, you have cos(theta) = 0

This gives you an angle of pi, which would be a right triangle, which makes sense to me. Shouldn't the right triangle have the greatest area?

Hope that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook