Application of Differentiation Problem

In summary, two people, Felicity and Jane, start walking towards an intersection at different distances and speeds. The problem is to find the closest distance they will get to each other. By using vectors and equations for their positions and distance, the closest distance is found to be 5 km.
bjgawp
Here's a problem that I just found in my book and to my dismay, I couldn't figure out how differentiation can be used to solve a particular problem (seeing how we've just finished this unit at school). So here's the problem:

Felicity and Jane start alking at the same time towards an intersection of two roads that meet at right angles.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/66/untitledfh4.png

Felicity starts at 9km from the intersection while Jane starts at 13km from the intersection. Their speeds are 4 km/h and 3 km/h respectively. What is the closest that Felicity and Jane will get?

I cannot figure out how to relate the two into one equation. Obviously, we need an equation for the distance between them and find the minimum for it (i.e. f'(x) = 0). Anyway, I thought I got differentiation down pat but ... guess not :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, denote Felicity's position VECTOR as a function of time:
[tex]\vec{r}_{F}(t)=(x_{F}(t),y_{F}(t))[/tex]
and similarly, for Jane:
[tex]\vec{r}_{J}(t)=(x_{J}(t),y_{J}(t))[/tex]

now, choose an intelligent origin, specify the component functions, and find an expression for the distance between them, as a function of time.

I haven't learned anything about vectors but I think I've got it. x = Felicity's distance to the intersection while y = Jane's distance to the intersection.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5775/problemns7.jpg

So the closest they can get is 5 km :smile: Phew, haven't lost my touch yet. Thanks anyway arildno!

Hmm I wonder why the images won't actually show up ...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is differentiation and why is it important?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand how a function changes over time or in response to different variables. It is also a key tool in many scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and economics, as it helps us to model and predict real-world phenomena.

2. How is differentiation used in real-world applications?

Differentiation is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as optimization problems in engineering, predicting population growth in biology, and calculating profit margins in business. It is also used in physics to model the motion and behavior of objects, and in economics to analyze supply and demand curves.

3. What are some common types of differentiation problems?

Some common types of differentiation problems include finding the derivative of a function, calculating the slope of a tangent line, and optimizing a function to find its maximum or minimum value. Other types of problems may involve finding the velocity or acceleration of an object, or determining the rate of change of a quantity over time.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving differentiation problems?

To improve your skills in solving differentiation problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic rules and formulas of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. Practice is also key, so working through a variety of problems and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any limitations to using differentiation in problem-solving?

While differentiation is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. For example, it may not always be possible to find an exact solution to a differentiation problem, and some problems may require the use of more advanced techniques. Additionally, differentiation assumes that the function being analyzed is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.