What is the rate of water decreasing in a hemisphere bowl when the depth is 6cm?

In summary, the problem involves a hemisphere bowl filled with water with a small hole at the bottom. The rate at which the water is draining is 48pi cm^3 s^-1. The depth of the water, x cm, is decreasing at a rate of 48/[x(24-x)] cm s^-1. To find the rate of decrease, the equation (x-0)^2 + (y - r)^2 = r^2 is used, and the rate is calculated to be 48/[x(24-x)] cm s^-1. When the bowl is full, the rate of decrease is 2 cm s^-1 and when the depth is 6cm, the rate of decrease is
Ose90
A hemisphere bowl of radius 12cm is initially full of water. Water runs out of a small hole at the bottom of the bowl at a rate of 48pi cm^3 s^-1. When the depth of the water is x cm , show that the depth is decreasing at a rate of 48/[x(24-x)] cm s^-1
Also, find the rate at which the depth is decreasing when

a) The bowl is full.
b)The depth is 6cm.

Another question is in this picture

Math.jpg

Thanks in advance! Really urgent :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ose90! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Ose90! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Hi tiny-tim, thanks for replying.
Glad to tell you that I have solved it.

However, I will still write down my solution to see if it is correct.

For the first question, I imagine the right side of the semi-circle displaced vertically, I get the equation (x-0)^2 + (y - r)^2 = r^2
then, x^2 = r^2 - (y^2 + r^2 -2yr)
x^2 = r^2 - y^2 -r^2 +2yr
= 2yr - y^2
x = [y(2r - y)]^(1/2)

Hence, when h = x and r = 12 , dV/dx = pi(24x-x^2)

from the question , dv/dt =48 pi

dx/dt = dx/dv x dv/dt
= 48 pi
-----
pi(24x - x^2)

For the second question , I use similar triangle to solve it.

Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of differentiation in scientific applications?

Differentiation is used to determine the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. This is useful in understanding how a system or process changes over time and can help identify patterns and make predictions.

2. How is differentiation used in physics?

In physics, differentiation is used to calculate velocity and acceleration, as well as to model the behavior of systems such as electric circuits and chemical reactions. It is also used to analyze motion, forces, and energy in a variety of situations.

3. What is the chain rule and why is it important in differentiation?

The chain rule is a rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is inside another. It is important in differentiation because it allows us to apply the basic rules of differentiation to more complex functions, making it a fundamental tool in calculus and scientific applications.

4. How is differentiation used in economics?

In economics, differentiation is used to determine the marginal cost and marginal revenue of a product or service. This information is important in making decisions related to production, pricing, and profit optimization.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiation?

Some common real-world applications of differentiation include optimization problems in engineering and economics, modeling population growth in biology, and analyzing changes in weather patterns in meteorology. It is also used in fields such as medicine, finance, and computer science.