Application/Use of 200mV scale in voltmeter

In summary, meters that measure voltages in the 200mV range can be extended by adding multiplier resistors in series with the meter. They are also used to measure current flow along printed circuit boards, measure drop across bolted connections, or check for solder connections.
William loh
I was wondering what are the uses of 200mV scale in voltmeter? I mean isn't it too small for most applications? but it seems to me every meter has such small scale ,so I was wondering what is their actual usage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is an extract from the service manual for my gas boiler

Following proceedure 5 in the multimeter handbook minimum closed circuit voltage at thermocouple is 8 mV

The point is that many transducers in control engineering produce voltage in the 0 - 200mV range.

The 200 mV range in voltmeters can be extended by adding multiplier resistors in series with the meter.

You need to know the resistance of the meter, but suppose it was 100 K ohms. This would mean that when the meter is reading 200 mV, the current in the meter will be 2 microamps.

So, if you wanted the meter to measure 20 volts, the current would still need to be 2 microamps so, you would need a series resistor of 10 megohms minus the 100 K of the meter, so 9.9 megohms.

ie 20 volts / 0.000002 amps = 10 000 000 ohms.

If you wanted to measure 200 volts maximum, you could use a 100 Megohm resistor, but it would be better to just use the 9.9 Meg ohms resistor as above, but put a 11.11 k resistor across the meter.
This would take 18 μA when there was 200 mV across the meter, (200 mV / 11111 ohms = 18 μA), so the total current would be 20 μA. Then if you put 200 volts across the 9.9 Meg plus meter in series, the meter would read close to full scale which you could interpret as 200 volts.

Some meters let you move the decimal point so the reading makes more sense.

I agree with voltage generated by thermocouples, seebeck voltages I would say that's the cause

You can also use these meters as ammeters.

If you put a resistor in parallel with the meter, the meter will read full scale if the voltage across the resistor is 200 mV

So, if you put a 1 ohm resistor across the meter, the meter would read 200 mV if the current was 200 mA.
With a 0.1 ohm resistor, the meter would read 200 mV if the current through the resistor was 2 amps.

Meters that measure the voltage out of a thermocouple would normally be calibrated in units of temperature like °C or °F.

I get it now, Thank you so much, you guys are really helpful.

i use it to verify current flow along printed circuit board tracks, and to measure drop across bolted connections or soldered ones that look questionable..

1. What is the purpose of the 200mV scale in a voltmeter?

The 200mV scale on a voltmeter is used to measure small voltage values, typically in the range of 0-200 millivolts. This scale is important for accurately measuring low voltage signals, such as those produced by sensors or electronic components.

2. How is the 200mV scale different from other scales on a voltmeter?

The 200mV scale is different from other scales on a voltmeter in that it has the smallest range, allowing for more precise measurements of low voltage signals. Other scales on a voltmeter may have a larger range, such as 0-10V or 0-100V, which are used for measuring higher voltage signals.

3. When should I use the 200mV scale on a voltmeter?

The 200mV scale should be used when you need to measure a low voltage signal, such as those produced by sensors or electronic components. It is also useful for measuring small changes in voltage, as the smaller range allows for more accurate readings.

4. Can I use the 200mV scale for all voltage measurements?

No, the 200mV scale is only suitable for measuring low voltage signals. If you need to measure higher voltage signals, you will need to use a different scale on the voltmeter with a larger range. It is important to select the appropriate scale for the voltage you are trying to measure in order to get an accurate reading.

5. What are the potential errors when using the 200mV scale on a voltmeter?

Some potential errors when using the 200mV scale on a voltmeter include inaccuracies due to the precision of the scale, as well as potential noise interference from external sources. It is important to calibrate the voltmeter regularly and take precautions to minimize external interference to ensure accurate readings.