Applications Diophantine Equations

• MHB
  • Thread starter matqkks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applications
In summary, the conversation discussed the real life applications of linear Diophantine equations. The main application mentioned was public key cryptography, which is based on number theory. Other possible applications include restaurant bill calculations and paving the way for more advanced mathematical studies. The Chinese Remainder Theorem was also mentioned as an example of a practical application of Diophantine equations in ancient China. Additionally, number theory has been used in fields such as molecular physics and organic chemistry.
matqkks
Are there any real life applications of linear Diophantine equations? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
matqkks said:
Are there any real life applications of linear Diophantine equations? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.
I guess the main real life application is to public key cryptography. It might be hard to come up with realistic examples at a sufficiently elementary level, but perhaps it would be possible to go some way in that direction.

Other than that, I don't think number theory has any practical uses in real life. (Except maybe calculating restaurant bills, HST, etc.)(Bandit)
The main mathematical use of number theory is to "pave a road" into more advanced studies such as differential equations and abstract algebra, which themselves have countless applications in many scientific disciplines.

eddybob123 said:
Other than that, I don't think number theory has any practical uses in real life. (Except maybe calculating restaurant bills, HST, etc.)(Bandit)
The main mathematical use of number theory is to "pave a road" into more advanced studies such as differential equations and abstract algebra, which themselves have countless applications in many scientific disciplines.
Hey eddybob.

I'd disagree with you on this. I think Number Theory has a lot of applications. The RSA encryption, for example, is a product of number theory and to understand that one doesn't even need to read very advanced stuff. There are a lot of applications of number theory in Computer Science.

EDIT: I didn't see Opalg's post when I answered this so my response can be ignored. Oops!

matqkks said:

I do hope that Your students will be 'motivated' by the following 'brillant' application od diophantine equations that is datec from the Middle Ages. A well known fundamental theorem of the number theory is called 'Chinese Remainder Theorem' and it extablishes that if $n_{1}$ and $n_{2}$ are coprime, then the diophantine equation...

$\displaystyle x \equiv a_{1}\ \text{mod}\ n_{1}$ $\displaystyle x \equiv a_{2}\ \text{mod}\ n_{2}\ (1)$... has one and only one solution $\text{mod}\ n_{1}\ n_{2}$. It is easy to demonstrate in a more general case that if $n_{1},\ n_{2},\ ...\ n_{k}$ are coprime, then the diophantine equation... $\displaystyle x \equiv a_{1}\ \text{mod}\ n_{1}$

$\displaystyle x \equiv a_{2}\ \text{mod}\ n_{2}$

$\displaystyle ...$

$\displaystyle x \equiv a_{k}\ \text{mod}\ n_{k}\ (2)$

... has one and one solution $\text{mod}\ N= n_{1}\ n_{2}\ ...\ n_{k}$. All that is well known but may be it is not as well known why this theorem is called 'chinese'. The reason seems to be in the fact that in the old China the mathematical knowledge was 'patrimony' of the highest social classes and the rest of population was able to count till twenty and no more. Taking into account that, when a chinese general wanted to know the number of soldiers of one batalion he instructed the commander to marshal the soldiers first in rows of 7, then in rows of 11 and then in rows of 13 and any time to count the soldiers in the last row. The unknown number of soldiers can be ontained solving the diphantine equation (2) where $n_{1}=7,\ n_{2}= 11,\ n_{3}=13$ so that $N=n_{1}\ n_{2}\ n_{3}=1001$. The general procedure to solve (2) is the following... a) we define for i=1,2,...,k $\displaystyle N_{i}= \frac{N}{n_{i}}$ and $\displaystyle \lambda_{i} \equiv N_{i}^{-1}\ \text{mod}\ n_{i}$ b) we compute directly...

$\displaystyle x = a_{1}\ \lambda_{1}\ N_{1} + a_{2}\ \lambda_{2}\ N_{2} + ...+ a_{k}\ \lambda_{k}\ N_{k}\ \text{mod}\ N\ (3)$

In the case of chinese generals is $\displaystyle N_{1}= 143,\ \lambda_{1} \equiv 5\ \text{mod} 7,\ N_{2}= 91,\ \lambda_{2} \equiv 4\ \text{mod}\ 11,\ N_{3}= 77,\ \lambda_{3} \equiv 12\ \text{mod}\ 13$ so that is... $\displaystyle x \equiv 715\ a_{1} + 364\ a_{2} + 924\ a_{3}\ \text{mod}\ 1001\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

eddybob123 said:
I don't think number theory has any practical uses in real life.

Of course there are. For example, in molecular physics and organic chemistry.

Related to Applications Diophantine Equations

1. What are Diophantine equations and what are their applications?

Diophantine equations are polynomial equations with integer coefficients and integer solutions. They are named after the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus and have been studied for centuries. Their applications include cryptography, number theory, and other areas of mathematics.

2. Can Diophantine equations be solved in general?

No, there is no general method for solving Diophantine equations. However, specific types of Diophantine equations, such as linear or quadratic, can be solved using various techniques.

3. What is the importance of Diophantine equations in cryptography?

Diophantine equations play a crucial role in modern cryptography, specifically in the field of public-key cryptography. The security of many encryption algorithms is based on the difficulty of solving certain types of Diophantine equations.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Diophantine equations?

Yes, Diophantine equations have various real-world applications, such as in coding theory, signal processing, and engineering. They are also used in the design of error-correcting codes for communication systems.

5. How is the complexity of Diophantine equations related to the unsolved problem in mathematics known as "Fermat's Last Theorem"?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a special case of a more general problem known as the "conjecture of Fermat," which states that there are no solutions to the equation xn + yn = zn for integers n > 2. This conjecture is closely related to the complexity of solving Diophantine equations, as it is one of the key open problems in the field. In fact, the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem required the development of new techniques for solving Diophantine equations.