Applications of integration - volume of volcanic ash

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total volume of ash that falls within 1 km of a volcano after a volcanic eruption. The depth of the ash is described by a function that decreases with distance from the volcano. The person attempting to solve the problem tried using solid revolutions and partitioning the y-axis, but ran into difficulties when trying to integrate. They are looking for pointers on how to approach the problem.
Anabelle37

Homework Statement

After a volcanic eruption, the ash gradually falls to the ground euqally in all directions. the depth of the ash diminishes with the distance from the volcano such that at a distance r metres the depth is exp(-r^2). find the total volume of ash falling within 1 km of the volcano.

The Attempt at a Solution

We've been doing solid revolutions in class for applications of integration. I tried to do this question by partitioning the y-axis so i could revolve aroung the y-axis to form a volume.
I called the radius exp(-r^2) and therefore my volume of my disc is pi*exp(-2r^2)*Delta(y). Then i realized that I couldn't integrate it from r=0 to r=1000 as my partition was for y not x. but partitioning x wouldn't seem correct. So now I'm completely stuck!

Any pointers would be great!
Is there another way to do it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anabelle! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

erm :redface: … there are coordinates other than x and y ! :wink:

try using r :smile:

1. How is the volume of volcanic ash calculated using integration?

The volume of volcanic ash can be calculated using the formula V = ∫ A(x)dx, where A(x) represents the cross-sectional area of the ash column at a given height. This formula utilizes the concept of integration, which involves dividing the ash column into infinitesimally thin layers and summing up their volumes to get the total volume of ash.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of using integration to calculate the volume of volcanic ash?

The accuracy of using integration to calculate the volume of volcanic ash can be affected by factors such as the shape and density of the ash column, the resolution of data used to measure the cross-sectional area, and external factors like wind and erosion that can alter the shape of the ash column.

3. Can integration be used to calculate the volume of ash in different types of volcanic eruptions?

Yes, integration can be used to calculate the volume of ash in all types of volcanic eruptions, including explosive and effusive eruptions. However, the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the eruption.

4. How is integration used in conjunction with other methods to estimate the volume of volcanic ash?

Integration is often used in conjunction with other methods, such as remote sensing and field measurements, to estimate the volume of volcanic ash. These methods can provide valuable data that can be used to refine the integration calculation and increase its accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to calculate the volume of volcanic ash?

While integration is a useful tool for estimating the volume of volcanic ash, it does have some limitations. These include the assumptions made about the shape and density of the ash column, as well as the potential for errors due to external factors. Additionally, integration may not be suitable for calculating the volume of extremely large or complex ash columns.