Applications of integration - volume of volcanic ash

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Anabelle37
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



After a volcanic eruption, the ash gradually falls to the ground euqally in all directions. the depth of the ash diminishes with the distance from the volcano such that at a distance r metres the depth is exp(-r^2). find the total volume of ash falling within 1 km of the volcano.

The Attempt at a Solution



We've been doing solid revolutions in class for applications of integration. I tried to do this question by partitioning the y-axis so i could revolve aroung the y-axis to form a volume.
I called the radius exp(-r^2) and therefore my volume of my disc is pi*exp(-2r^2)*Delta(y). Then i realized that I couldn't integrate it from r=0 to r=1000 as my partition was for y not x. but partitioning x wouldn't seem correct. So now I'm completely stuck!

Any pointers would be great!
Is there another way to do it?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anabelle! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

erm :redface: … there are coordinates other than x and y ! :wink:

try using r :smile:​