Applications of underdamped systems?

In summary, systems that have an underdamped response oscillate and overshoot the final value. This is useful in some cases where the target is in a narrow range between first maximum and first minimum.
becs
Hi,
We have covered underdamping, overdamping and critical damping in study, but I am unsure of a question,

The question says "define the type of system that would give this response" (and there is an image of an underdamped wave).

Are there systems that WANT to have underdamping?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So, underdamped means that there is oscillation?

A stringed musical instrument better be underdamped, otherwise, the sound will simply be a dull thud. Same thing for a bell.

It is not so much a matter of an inanimate system "wanting" to be underdamped. Rather it is a case of systems that function while being underdamped. The torsional vibration of an IC engine driven machine train is an example of such a system. It does not "want to be underdamped," it simply is underdamped but it functions anyway.

A diving board/diver system is underdamped. Otherwise, the diver might just as well dive from the edge of the pool.

DarthMatter said:
So, underdamped means that there is oscillation?

Correct, To my knowledge, underdamped is when the systems response oscillates and overshoots the final value.
However, I'm not sure how this would be wanted or useful application as the task seems to be after.

OldEngr63 said:
A stringed musical instrument better be underdamped, otherwise, the sound will simply be a dull thud. Same thing for a bell.

It is not so much a matter of an inanimate system "wanting" to be underdamped. Rather it is a case of systems that function while being underdamped. The torsional vibration of an IC engine driven machine train is an example of such a system. It does not "want to be underdamped," it simply is underdamped but it functions anyway.

A diving board/diver system is underdamped. Otherwise, the diver might just as well dive from the edge of the pool.

I kind of get you but not sure how to relate to my industry and the question (factory environment with conveyors etc),

What in a factory would have an underdamped response and why would it have that response?
Somewhere else in the question mentions a transducer so I am guessing this could be a sensor on a conveyor for instance?

like oldengr said, in many cases systems are just naturally underdamped, desirable or not. one example of this is a servo response in a factory. in some cases, a higher rise time with some overshoot is a preferable solution over slower rise time with no overshoot.

Many analogue electrical and mechanical measuring devices/instruments are constructed to have heavy underdamped response (almost critical one).

zoki85 said:
Many analogue electrical and mechanical measuring devices/instruments are constructed to have heavy underdamped response (almost critical one).

Would the reason for this be to achieve the target value faster where an overshoot doesn't matter all too much? If not then what would the reason be?

Thanks everyone so far :)

Some reasons to intentionally design an underdamped response (when you have a choice) are to initially get to a desired value more quickly, or to make use of the ringing or the peak.

gary32 said:
Would the reason for this be to achieve the target value faster where an overshoot doesn't matter all too much? If not then what would the reason be?
Yes. The target is in narrow range between first maximum and first minimum. Time saving is important in a series of many measurements. This also better suits human perception than overdamped design where target is maximum and its' estimation is more difficult.

My 76 Chrysler was under-damped most of the years I had it, LOL (bad shock absorbers). As youngsters, it made it more fun.

Tesla loved to play with resonance of underdamped things. i.e. large currents in resonant LC circuits to excite nearby LC coils into sparking (Tesla coils)

Under damped LC networks are now finding their way into more compact switching power supplies and power transfer pads.

I vaguely remember that some system is designed with an under-damped response to speed up the system response time. This is my two cents.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Tesla loved to play with resonance of underdamped things. i.e. large currents in resonant LC circuits to excite nearby LC coils into sparking (Tesla coils)
In most of the cases, he wanted circuits/systems with high Q factors. To minimize dissipation and fill them with as much energy as possible in the same time. Sparking was indicator of the "limit".

Related to Applications of underdamped systems?

1. What is an underdamped system?

An underdamped system is a type of dynamic system in which the damping force is less than the critical damping level. This means that the system will oscillate before eventually settling to its equilibrium state.

2. What are some common applications of underdamped systems?

Underdamped systems have many real-life applications, including shock absorbers in vehicles, earthquake-resistant buildings, and electronic circuits.

3. How are underdamped systems different from overdamped systems?

Underdamped systems have a lower damping force than overdamped systems, which means they will oscillate before reaching equilibrium. Overdamped systems, on the other hand, have a higher damping force and will not oscillate before reaching equilibrium.

4. How can we calculate the damping ratio of an underdamped system?

The damping ratio of an underdamped system can be calculated by dividing the actual damping coefficient by the critical damping coefficient. It can also be calculated using the natural frequency and the damping coefficient.

5. What are some advantages of using underdamped systems?

Underdamped systems have the advantage of being able to absorb and dissipate energy more efficiently compared to overdamped systems. They also have a faster response time and can handle sudden changes in the input. Additionally, underdamped systems are less expensive to design and implement compared to overdamped systems.