Applied for the SMART scholarship

In summary: If you're running out of professors, I would recommend reaching out to a few professors who you know would be willing to write letters of recommendation for you and asking if they would be willing to do so for a few different REU programs.
xcrunner2414
So, I've applied for the SMART scholarship (DoD), the SULI program (DoE), Johns Hopkins APL, and now I want to apply to a few REUs (NSF). But, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any REU's that do not require letters of recommendation?
2. Is it inadvisable to ask a professor to write a letter of recommendation for me as a candidate for the REU's in general, rather than to a specific REU program? Because I'm kinda running out of professors... lol

Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org

I am mostly interested in knowing which REU's don't require letters of recommendation... if any.
Thanks.

xcrunner2414 said:
So, I've applied for the SMART scholarship (DoD), the SULI program (DoE), Johns Hopkins APL, and now I want to apply to a few REUs (NSF). But, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any REU's that do not require letters of recommendation?
2. Is it inadvisable to ask a professor to write a letter of recommendation for me as a candidate for the REU's in general, rather than to a specific REU program? Because I'm kinda running out of professors... lol

Thanks a bunch.

I'm not from the US so have no experience with REU's. However, from what I've seen here (and common sense) I would say the answer to your 1 is no: that would be like appointing someone for a job with no references. For 2 I would approach two or three people and ask if they will write you a letter. Then, if they say yes, you can give them the details of all the positions you're applying to. Most professors will write the same letter for all, but some might adapt it for a specific position.

There shouldn't be any problem in getting multiple letters of recommendation from the same professor (for different applications, of course). The real work for him is in writing the first one. He can then just send off copies for the others, possibly with a bit of minor tweaking as necessary.

This assumes a "reasonable" number of applications, of course. A hundred would probably be pushing things too far. :biggrin:

k. thanks for the replies :-) I'll probably apply to about 3 REUs

REUs are very selective, in some cases more so than many graduate schools, so they all require letters of recommendation, usually at least two.

I haven't seen any REUs that don't require recommendations. A few only require one, but most require two, and a few even require 3.

xcrunner2414 said:

I was under the impression this is how letters of recommendation for this kind of thing are normally written (unless you're only applying to one program or something).

1. What is the SMART scholarship program?

The SMART (Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation) scholarship program is a highly competitive program that provides full tuition coverage, a stipend, and summer internships to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in STEM fields. The goal of the program is to support and develop the next generation of scientists and engineers for the Department of Defense.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the SMART scholarship?

To be eligible for the SMART scholarship, applicants must be U.S. citizens, currently enrolled in a college or university, and pursuing a degree in a STEM field that aligns with the Department of Defense's research and development areas. Applicants must also be willing to work for the DoD after graduation for a period equal to the length of the scholarship.

3. What are the benefits of the SMART scholarship?

The SMART scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, including books, supplies, and other education-related expenses. It also provides a generous stipend based on the student's academic level (undergraduate, master's, or doctoral) and location. Additionally, students receive a summer internship at a DoD facility, professional mentoring, and opportunities for employment after graduation.

4. How can I apply for the SMART scholarship?

The application process for the SMART scholarship consists of an online application, three letters of recommendation, official transcripts, and a resume. Applicants must also complete a DoD Service Agreement, outlining their commitment to work for the DoD after graduation. The application typically opens in August and closes in December each year.

5. What should I include in my application for the SMART scholarship?

In addition to the required documents, it is essential to highlight your academic achievements, research experience, and leadership skills in your application. Be sure to also explain how your degree aligns with the DoD's research and development areas and your interest in working for the DoD after graduation. Strong letters of recommendation and a well-written essay will also strengthen your application.